Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Total system death. Can't even boot from CD.

• Please log in to reply

Caldoun

Caldoun

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all. I believe my 5-yr old Packard Bell desktop PC has caught a virus that seems to have destroyed the HD completely.

I was running WinXP SP2 and installed a somewhat dubious program (though McAfee did give it the all-clear). After installation I was met with the following BSOD...

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000000, 0x00000001c, 0x00000001, 0x804FB006)

The situation is this...

- 'Start Windows Normally' and 'Last known good config.' both present the same BSOD.

- Selecting any Safe Mode option results in a blank blue screen with just a couple of unintelligible characters in the upper left of the screen. No keyboard response, no HD activity.

- I don't have a Restore CD for my copy of Windows but am willing to switch to Linux. I've downloaded and burned a Ubuntu boot disk, made sure the BIOS is set to boot from CD, inserted CD and get only the following...

Boot from CD:
1. HD System Type- (0B)
Missing operating system_

I've dl'ed and burned the WinXP Recover Console and that gives the same response (except says HD System Type- (04))

In all of the above cases the keyboard is totally unresponsive except for when I'm accessing and changing the BIOS menus. The BSOD message suggests disabling shadowing and caching in the BIOS, but I see no options to do so. I can't figure a way to interact with the hard drive at all, even to format it, which I'm willing to do at this stage, and can't figure out why it won't boot from CD.

The PC is rather defunct but I want it for a media server, so I'd like to get it working again if possible. Any advice would be very much appreciated. thanks.

::update::
I have been able to boot the HD from a disk burned with Puppy Linux as per 123Runner's advice in THIS THREAD. I've deleted the offending program from Program Files but that hasn't solved the BSOD problem.

At least I now know my CD drive works - but does that mean the Ubuntu 9.10 burn I unsuccessfully tried to boot from is faulty?

Edited by Caldoun, 10 March 2010 - 03:26 PM.

Advertisements

kimsland

kimsland

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

but does that mean the Ubuntu 9.10 burn I unsuccessfully tried to boot from is faulty?

It could be, but lets not worry too much at the moment
Ubuntu has a few (very small amount) of computers that just will not work with it.
But it could just be the way the CD Drive is connected and jumpered, ideally being on its own IDE Cable and jumpered as Cable Select.

If you are now able to get into your system. I would suggest that you back up any/all important User data.
Since you originally stated that your system may be (still) infected by Virus, before returning the backup make sure to have live protecting updated Antivirus installed.

As you now have Two faults. 1. Possible Virus infection 2. BSod causing Windows not to fully load up (even in Safe Mode)
And, you do not have a Restore (or Windows Setup) disc, then this is going to be a tad difficult.
Note: Most OEM installs (ie Dell; HP etc) have a Restore Partition. That is accessed by pressing a certain (displayed) key at system startup, similar to how Bios Setup states Press DEL or F2 (or other) key at startup.
Please check to see you have this prompt (after confirming backing up) and then select it. You can then Restore Windows XP fully.

Another option is just to purchase the Restore disc (again if this OEM install)
You can contact your Manufacturer to purchase one of these (they are cheap!)

Or you could purchase a whole new disc from places like > Newegg online

So what's the answer to be? XP or not to XP :)

Caldoun

Caldoun

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the info.

I've managed to back up the bulk of my data onto a external HD thanks to Puppy Linux, so nothing major will be lost. My PC doesn't appear to have a Restore Partition either, or if it does it's a well-kept secret, so that's a no-go.

I figure since I've already ordered Windows 7 for my newer PC anyway, I figure it's not worth salvaging my beloved XP. I'm now considering wiping the drive with DBAN which seems to have worked for the guy in the above-linked thread, and just fresh installing Win7 when it arrives.

kimsland

kimsland

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I like Knoppix (and Ubuntu actually) I find it User friendly :)

But, this is not a thread about Linux.
Since you are going to wipe the drive, please do this first, it may just fix it :)

http://www.aade.com/.../XPrecovery.htm

Obviously we won't worry about backing up the Registry first in this case :)