Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC problems after Cleaning

• Please log in to reply

Korakos

Korakos

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello

here´s the deal, i built my computer 2 years ago, and hadnt done any cleaning all that time (yes i know, bad me) but just today i decided to clean it up a bit.

took necessary precautions (static and nothing that could cause any kind of discharge), i cleaned it up (unplugged everything, cleaned it up, plugged it back in (everything in the correct spot, already checked it multiple times) and put the PC back together.

now here´s the problem: it turns on, gets to the loading screen in which i choose the OS to boot up in (sometimes it doesnt even get that far in) and just shuts down. i dont know where to start checking for problems or what to do even... plz somebody help?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like a screw loose inside the system.
Maybe a loose card or connection.
Memory not seated correctly or CPU not seated down firmly.
The only other options would be a PSU or Motherboard problem that just happened at the same time.

Korakos

Korakos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
nope... no loose card, or connection, nor RAM, just redid those checking everything was fine but it didnt work,
1 curious thing though... it lasts on MUCH longer when there is nothing connected to the pc, no keyboard, no mouse, no screen, nothing...

Korakos

Korakos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well it just might be the CPU, just redid that part... and its been turned on for 5 minutes now... not ready to yell in victory yet, but im getting excited!

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
"curious thing though... it lasts on MUCH longer when there is nothing connected to the pc"

Nothing curious about that - with nothing connected the PC is taking more time trying to 'find' those peripherals that are missing -- so it stays on longer.

I'm still not convinced you put everything back properly on the motherboard. You may need to remove the ram chips completely then re-seat them, and make sure the end-clips are fully engaged. I had a "dead" PC last year after fitting more ram. Powered on, disk spinning, but nothing on screen. I removed the ram and put it back. Bingo -- it came back to life.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 10 March 2010 - 06:37 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If the cpu is not seated correctly the system usually will not bootup.
Let us know if it stays running for the next 30 minutes. If so I think you may have fixt your problem.

Korakos

Korakos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well im writting this response from the aforementioned pc... everything works perfectly now... i thank you for all your help, glad it could be fixed today... i have exams tomorrow and all my notes are on this pc XD

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
u]