Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to Delete Subkey from XP registry

• Please log in to reply

GMVSHORT

GMVSHORT

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I need HELP to remove/delete a subkey from Win XP registry!!

Issue - I tried to correct an invalid value of a subkey under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\, in doing so I got "ERROR WRITING THE VALUE'S NEW CONTENTS."

I decided to copy orig-key and rename and edit that. Copied OK, renamed OK, but could still not make changes to value. If it had of worked I had planned on deleting the orig-key and rename new-key to orig-key.
However, now have a new-key that I CANNOT remove!
I even tried editing under SAFE MODE.
As Admin I have FULL CONTROL permissions/ownership of the SUBKEY, but that doesn't seem to matter in the case of this SUBKEY or it's contents.....

NOTE --
I tried deleting the KEY using "export" to create a KEY-FILE and then editing the KEY-FILE by placing a minus sign in front of the key. I then saved the KEY-FILE and double clicked the file to update the registry. The pop-up-box stated that the entry was sucessfully entered into the registry. Great News? NOPE! The KEY was still in the registry, so "NO change occured"!

I tried deleting through the command prompt, "reg delete new-key /f".... Got ERROR - ACCESS IS DENIED!!

I then went to the Internet and downloaded AVENGER which is said it could remove the key. It tried but also didn't have andy luck and got Status: 0xc0000022 (STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED)..

I believe there is LOCK on the SUBKEY that can only be bypassed prior to windows loading...
So, is there a way to edit the registry prior to Windows loading?
Or is there a way to defeat the LOCK the registry has on the SUBkey!!

Any HELP would be appreciated!!

GMVSHORT

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Welcome to geeks To Go!

Why are you messing with the Registry? can't you just ignore that key?

We only recommend Registry editing under instruction from one of our experts if neccessary, such as manual removal of stubborn malware entries or errors that can't be fixed any other way.

GMVSHORT

GMVSHORT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks for your input! It lets me know that at least someone has read the issue I presented..
I am still searching for assistance on this issue.

Plese note - if you do not have a solution, but only a remark or comment, your reply is not necessary!

TIA!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
I will also ask the question of why are you messing with the registry?
What are you attempting to fix?
There might be another way.

We need these answers so that we may help you.

If you again respond with "Plese note - if you do not have a solution, but only a remark or comment, your reply is not necessary!", then we probably won't be able to help.

Please note that messing with the registry can render the computer inoperable!

GMVSHORT

GMVSHORT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
OK ------- I will answer your questions.........

-----why are you messing with the registry?
I tried to correct an invalid value of a subkey under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\......

-----What are you attempting to fix?
The invalid value of a subkey under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\........

-----There might be another way.
That is what I am looking for..

I answered your question, now return the favor..

FYI - I know messing with registry can cause system probs!
I have edited registry for many things in the past 15 years, but I have never ran into this problem before.

If you are an admin of Geeks To Go - I could give you further details if you wish to provide a e/m address. But I don't believe the general population needs to know the issue or resolution.
TIA - GMVSHORT

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Topic has been forwarded to Admin and mods for review.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
GMVSHORT,

I will point you to our Terms of Use, which state the following:

Help is permitted in the forums only. No support is offered, or allowed via Personal Message or email.

We only offer help via the forums. You've had several people willing to help, but they cannot do so without more information from you. Please note that these are not random people offering help, but staff or members with a lot of experience. If this is an issue that you don't feel can be posted in public, then choosing to ask for help on a free public forum is probably not the best option for you. If you wish the continue to receive help, then you'll need to provide more information to us.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it would actually be beneficial to know the reason for your issue. we can't help you if you're going to withhold information.

the purpose of this forum is to offer free computer help, and we do it publicly, we DO NOT offer help via PM or email. someone may come along behind you with the same issue and find the fix, thus saving them the trouble of having to work for hours on an issue that can be fixed in minutes once the answer is posted.

if you'd like to continue getting FREE help, then please answer the questions that have been asked, and answer them in this thread. if you're THAT concerned with your "information" or the "reasons/resolutions" regarding your issue being known on the internet, then perhaps you shouldn't be asking for help on the internet?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts

-----why are you messing with the registry?
I tried to correct an invalid value of a subkey under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\......

-----What are you attempting to fix?
The invalid value of a subkey under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\........

These are answers that I expect from a child in school that does not know the answer to a question, but just rephrases the question in to an answer. It does us no good in being able to help you.

GMVSHORT

GMVSHORT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
OK GUYS!

Lets see if you have a valid answer and will post...

I needed to fix a PC w/virus on a PC in small business. McAfee was uptodate and running but it did not stop the virus, but kept stating that it had stopped an attempt ...) Six hours later the office manager noticed that applictions quit working. I as local tech support person got involved and found that over 3,000 executables were trashed. I got info for all system/apps loaded and reformatted the HD. I then reinstalled w/XP CD provided. This XP CD loaded OS without problem. I noticed that the license was not the one that s/b on this specific PC. I have the correct license number and wanted to replace the one that was loaded into the registry, but can not change it. I would let it ride, but I am to also reformat the other PC and will have to reinstall w/XP CD, which has it's license assigne to another PC. I would believe that this would cause an issue with MS. The PC w/OS came with the business that was purchased 7 yrs back. There is only one XP CD that can be found and it is an OEM version.

Now can you help??

If you can, TIA many times over.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
actually...no we can't help with any of that

#1 if you read our TOU which you agreed to when you registered here, you'd know that we're here to support HOME users, not people who get paid for OUR help. You're obviously getting paid directly by someone for any help we'd offer. how would you like it if some guy came round after you fixed something and picked up your check for you?

I have the correct license number and wanted to replace the one that was loaded into the registry, but can not change it. I would let it ride,

that wouldn't work no matter how much help we could give you

I would let it ride, but I am to also reformat the other PC and will have to reinstall w/XP CD, which has it's license assigne to another PC. I would believe that this would cause an issue with MS. The PC w/OS came with the business that was purchased 7 yrs back.

you're right...that would cause a licensing issue..if i understand you correctly, you've got more computers than you've got license keys? we can't help you with any of that since it's a licensing violation.

GMVSHORT

GMVSHORT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Well guys I see your side, if I was getting paid.......
However, I am not! I am an individual that is trying to help his brother-in-law. If I was to be paid and he could afford the cost, I'd would of suggested that he buy another copy of XP and would of been done with it three months ago. However, you should not spend money you do not have....
NOTE - There are two PCs. They both had licensed software. Then when I did the reformat I only found software for one PC and not two. The systems showed two different licenses.

So far I've explained everything and have not had any suggestions. Yes I read your rules and I am a home user. I have two licenses, and need to get them to the appropriate PC. If you can help Great! IF NOT -----Bye!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you had spent your energy actually asking your question in an efficient, descriptive, and effective manner instead of being combative and secretive you would have actually had an answer by now.

IF i understand you correctly, you've got 2 valid XP licenses (are these on COA stickers stuck to the side of the computer or what? where did you "find" the licenses? are they OEM or retail licenses?) but only one XP disk (is this a system recovery disk or full windows disk? OEM or Retail?). You state that you reformatted one PC and are going to reformat another but that the one you did first has the wrong license in it (this is where i'm assuming the COA is coming from the sticker on the side of the PC and not from say a sheet of paper).

there are methods of doing this correctly (not the way you were attempting to do it)...if you could answer/confirm my questions above we'll give you some suggested paths to fix your issue.

as a note (and this is the last it's going to be mentioned BY ANYONE) if you're wanting to get clear and accurate help, you have to give clear and accurate information (GIGO). if you don't give us the whole story we can't help you, and if you can't describe your issue in detail we can't rightly know what to do to get you fixed up. On top of that, if you come here asking for help and exhibit a combative attitude we WON'T help (as a tech, would you enjoy helping someone who was belligerent about it the whole time?). If you can fix your attitude and start being more descriptive with your issues, we will be more than willing to help you whenever you need it (FOR FREE) as long as the help you ask for falls within the guidelines of our TOU.

GMVSHORT

GMVSHORT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
dsenette,

the XP license info was provided via pgm "Belarc Advisor". I ran it on both XP machines before I did reformat of HD on XP-1 box. I saved copies of the profiles provided to Flash Drive and it is from the profile that I discovered that the XP CD did not match to what was previously installed. The CD was from DELL (Reinstallalation CD MS Win XP Home Ed - SP1).

Just discovered that all files at the root of the Flash Drive have been removed/deleted, but folders & their contents are still on drive. I've been having virus/worm problems and now no profile to get info from..... Now I guess I'll have to start another topic...

So XP CD I have is OEM. XP OS that was oringinally on PC that I reformatted was a Retail product.

There is a DELL sticker on side of PC (OEM box) with product key, but it doesnot match what Belarc Advisor profiled for that PC.
The PC I reformatted the HD on does not have a sticker. I am only going by what Belarc Advisor profiled for that PC. For which the profile info is now missing..

Anything else you want to know?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

There is a DELL sticker on side of PC (OEM box) with product key, but it doesnot match what Belarc Advisor profiled for that PC.

did you use the key from belarc or the sticker when you installed here?

So XP CD I have is OEM.

this is the dell recovery disk correct?

XP OS that was oringinally on PC that I reformatted was a Retail product.

are you getting that info from belarc? or what? how is that determined?

the PC that you haven't reformatted is the dell machine that has the COA sticker on it yes? and your belarc report shows that the COA in use doesn't match the COA on the sticker?