Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to Delete Subkey from XP registry

• Please log in to reply

GMVSHORT

GMVSHORT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Dsenette,

OK..

Yes I've installed a bunch of apps and updates..

However, this still doesn't change my question on looking for a solution to delete/remove invalid subkeys I created.

Also, if the systems have been running without issues from MS for over 5 years with the product keys as they were, why not reinstall with those same keys?
Unless MS didn't care and did not keep records of what product key goes to which box back then.. And if it monitors and keeps records now, wouldn't my changing Keys throw up a RED flag? Thus I would need to know how to change the PRODUCT KEY in the REGISTRY...

And here I thought I could just change the license number and go on my merry way...... Thanks:)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Also, if the systems have been running without issues from MS for over 5 years with the product keys as they were, why not reinstall with those same keys?
Unless MS didn't care and did not keep records of what product key goes to which box back then.. And if it monitors and keeps records now, wouldn't my changing Keys throw up a RED flag? Thus I would need to know how to change the PRODUCT KEY in the REGISTRY...

i've been speeding since i've gotten a driver's license....longevity doesn't make it legal

we can't help you with anything that violates the EULA set forth by microsoft. as it stands now both systems are running illegally because they're using the same product key. it has nothing to do with MS keeping track of anything.

second you can't just change the product key in the registry. if you'd like to rectify the product key issue you can contact microsoft directly and they can assist you in switching the product key without doing a re-install, but they're the only ones who can help you with that. word of caution, A: i don't think the process is free and B: you still don't know which license key is sure to be valid (in all likely hood, dell-2 was formatted using the recovery disk from dell-1 which didn't ask for a product key and thus ended up with both machines on the same key).

so....again. you HAVE to get DELL-2 re-installed with the proper product key (the one on the COA on the side)

the EASIEST way of fixing your registry issue (especially since every time you try to modify the keys it gives you errors) is to simply reinstall (a repair install might work and not require reinstalling all of your apps etc. but you usually can't do that with older recovery disks)...as a side note, having that key in there shouldn't actually cause any issues since it's a randomly (as far as the OS is concerned) named key

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Just a note on Avira flagging the key finder.
I am using Avira and have the keyfinder in my downloads and it has just recently started flagging it this week. It was a recognition pattern of SPR.
It also flagged my Logmein updates.

\Thought you would like to know.

GMVSHORT

GMVSHORT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Dsenette,

The police must be there to see you speed and stop you. However, every time you connect to MS to update your system it would make since to validate. Else, why have a license, if not to check for validity.

Someone must of changed both PC's OS. As mentioned earlier, both PC's had differnt product keys and neither matched the COA.

Since both systems are contain same product key, both are not illegal, only ONE would be. In this situation, per your conclusion, it would be DELL-2. Thus, I do not need to change the license number in the registry. That's good! However, I do need to remove the two invalid subkeys from the registry that were created when I tried to change the license number generated by the product key. As I really do not want to have to reformat and reload everything again, is there a way to do this?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

The police must be there to see you speed and stop you. However, every time you connect to MS to update your system it would make since to validate. Else, why have a license, if not to check for validity.

MS does validate you via WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage), however that only validates that you're not using a cracked/illegal product key, YOU are not using a cracked or illegal product key, you're using a valid licensed product key, you're just using it twice.

Since both systems are contain same product key, both are not illegal, only ONE would be. In this situation, per your conclusion, it would be DELL-2. Thus, I do not need to change the license number in the registry. That's good!

right, you still need to fix dell-1 though

However, I do need to remove the two invalid subkeys from the registry that were created when I tried to change the license number generated by the product key. As I really do not want to have to reformat and reload everything again, is there a way to do this?

reading your post about the subkeys, you attempted to change the original and it wouldn't let you, so you created a NEW version with a different name (like subkey2), at which point it wouldn't let you change/delete that one. meaning that the original subkey is still there and in the same state as it started, the new subkey isn't being read by windows because it's got a name that windows doesn't know. so it ACTUALLY shouldn't be causing any issues whatsoever

GMVSHORT

GMVSHORT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Dsenette,

We're on the same page... Dell-1 needs to be fixed....

you attempted to change the original and it wouldn't let you, so you created a NEW version with a different name (like subkey2), at which point it wouldn't let you change/delete that one. meaning that the original subkey is still there and in the same state as it started, the new subkey isn't being read by windows because it's got a name that windows doesn't know. so it ACTUALLY shouldn't be causing any issues whatsoever

Yes, you'd think there wouldn't be an issue. However, when I loaded another app (IE 8??) it got subkey2's or maybe subkey3's license number and not the one ("OEM") created from the product key...
So, need to remove subkey2 & subkey3..

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
since you're dealing with the keys involved with license modification i think you're going to need to contact MS directly to get most of them fixed

one way or another i'm pretty sure that you're not going to be able to get those keys mucked with while actually running windows. you could try to use the UBCD4WIN PE environment. it makes a bootable version of XP that you can use to do troubleshooting outside of the live environment. it's got registry modification tools

GMVSHORT

GMVSHORT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Dsenette,

Will check it out and see what can be done.

Thanks, have a good week-end and Happy Easter.

GMVSHORT

GMVSHORT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Dsenette,

Checked out UBCD4WIN but, did not see anything that mentions it could do what I need. I don't have a CD burner anyway..

Well, we have discussed my issue for a number of days and I am no closer to a resolution.. Sadly no answer, but I wish to thank you for all your assistance.

You may close the topic.

Have a GREAT DAY!