Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do you hook up a vcr with an insignia converter box?

• Please log in to reply

leader2

leader2

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hi. I have an insignia conveter box that is hooked to my tv. But I want to figure out how to hook it up so that it will work with my vcr. Please help me learn how to do this. Please keep in mind that my tv only has an antenna input and doesn't have inputs for the red, white and yellow audio/video cables. Please somebody reply quickly. I need my VCR next week to tape some programs. :)

Advertisements

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
There has to be some sort of output, so it should be something like connect antenna to the input of the converter. Connect the converter output to the input of the VCR. connect the VCR output to the TV input. VCR and TV will both be set to channel 3 and left there. You will change channels with the converter box.

If you want to schedule your VCR to record something, you will always set it to record channel 3, and will have to set the converter to the channel you want to record.

let me know if that does it for you. :)

leader2

leader2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Thank you for responding BHowett. :) I believe my I have hooked up the box the way you are saying, but in order for me to record anything I had to plug the audio/video cables (red, white and yellow) from the INsignia converter to connectors on the front of my vcr. And even then When I try to play back what I have recorded I have to turn off the converter box to watch it. :)

Another thing that frustrates me is that the VCR's display (channel, time, length of recording) doesn't show up when I try to record anything, meaning that I have to can't tell the length of time that the video has recorded. :) I am sorry if this sounds confusing B :) (if I may call you that :) ) but I just want my vcr to work the way it did before this newfangled converter box was necessary.

As for setting the vcr to channel 3 it doesn't work. I have to set it to the auxilliary channel so that it will record anything. This situation is really getting on my nerves and I wish this box wasn't necessary. :)

Please give your suggestions on how I may bypass this so that I can use the VCR without having to turn the converter box off. Thanks. :)

Edited by leader2, 13 March 2010 - 09:15 AM.

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
Can you post the exact model of converter, VCR, and TV. Also if you could post a couple pictures of the connectors on each, that would help too.

thanks,

leader2

leader2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
I am very sorry that I cannot provide any pictures, but I can provide the model no. of the vcr and converter box. The vcr is a JVC Model No. HR-AS91U. The converter box is Insignia NS-DXA1. I apologize for not being able to provide the model no. of the tv. I can't find the manuals or box and all I can say that it is a 19 inch zenith which is probably 6 or 7 years old.

I tried to look on the internet and here is what I found for the converter box.

http://www.ezdigital..._connection.jpg

I do know that my tv has one antenna input in the back and that the vcr has audio/video inputs (red, white and yellow ) on the back (At least I believe they are inputs :) ) and three uncolored audio/video connectors on the front. I have the vcr, converter box and tv connected together and currently have the converter's audio/video cables plugged in the front of my vcr to the uncolored audio, video connectors. I tried plugging them to the inputs on the back and it didn't work at all, so tried the connectors on the front and it worked except for the aforementioned problems.

Sorry if this is confusing or not very helpful information. :) I really tried to get the information for you. :)

Edited by leader2, 14 March 2010 - 11:59 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The model number for the vcr you provided is coming up with a remote and not a vcr.

leader2

leader2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

The model number for the vcr you provided is coming up with a remote and not a vcr.

Sorry about that rshaffer61.I put a S instead of a 5. The correct number is HR-A519U.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
ok that still is not giving me any information. Is there a way you can get a picture of the connections on the back of the vcr?
A couple of them would be great to show everything I need to see.
If you have a digital camera take a couple of pictures and then save them to your desktop as jpeg file formats. Then follow this guide HERE on how to attach them to your reply. This will help me to instruct you further on how to connect everything from there.

leader2

leader2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Sorry that isn't giving you the proper info. That serial no. was in a huge font right on the box like two or three times and on the back of the vcr. Maybe it's because the vcr is an older model.

I am deeply sorry that I can't provide pictures. :) But I do know this. On the back of the vcr on the left side there are audio/video connection that I guess would be considered outs. They are red, white and yellow. Next to them further left are connectors for the tv and antenna. I guess they are inputs. I am really guessing on this because I don't understand the concept of inputs and outputs. :)

I hope that helps and sorry if it doesn't. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Input signal from cable or antenna
Output is what goes to the tv.

Normally you would go from the wall to the converter. Then from convertor to the the vcr. Then cable line from output on vcr to the cable connection on the tv.
VCR would have to be set for channel 3 or 4 depending on which is not a used channel in your area.

Advertisements

leader2

leader2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Would what you're talking about look something like this?
Posted Image

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sort of. I see no reasons for the 3 top connections
Pink
Light Green
Dark Blue.
The coaxial connections should be all that is needed.
Aerial from wall to in on the converter. Out from the convertoer to In on VCR.
Out on VCR to TV.
This is all you need. 3 coax cables should make all the connections you need.
Make sure vcr is set for tv or function will not work to watch tv then.

leader2

leader2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Sort of. I see no reasons for the 3 top connections
Pink
Light Green
Dark Blue.
The coaxial connections should be all that is needed.
Aerial from wall to in on the converter. Out from the convertoer to In on VCR.
Out on VCR to TV.
This is all you need. 3 coax cables should make all the connections you need.
Make sure vcr is set for tv or function will not work to watch tv then.

Ok and thanks for replying. Actually the only way I managed to get it working was this...

In order to finally get it to work I had to connect the antenna to the vcr, and connect converter box's to tv cord to my tv and the vcr to tv cord to the antenna in of the converter box. Then I had to plug the converter box's audio/ video cables to the connectors (not sure if they are inputs or outputs) on the front of my vcr.

The huge problem with this is I have to turn the converter box off to play the vcr and the vcr's display function (time, length of recording, SP or EP etc.) don't show up, meaning I have no idea how long the program is taking to record and can't clear the recorded time.

Sorry if what I said was confusing, :) but when I tried to just hook up the vcr, antenna and tv, my vcr refused to record anything until I used the audio/video cables which I plugged in the front of the vcr. That is where I normally plug my playstation btw.

I did try to hook it up the way you said, but it refused to play without me turning the converter box off and of course didn't record. :)

What is going on? :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not sure what the issue is as I have hooked up every vcr and cable box I have ever owned the way I instructed you. It works flawlessly this way.
Something is not set right with the vcr that won't allow the converter to work thru it.
If vcr is not set to the proper channel then nothing will come through from the converter.

leader2

leader2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Thanks for your reply. I don't understand what is going on either. I tried to connect the box, vcr and tv the way you mentioned and the vcr doesn't work that way for some reason. I won't record or play. What do I do now?

By the way here is what the back of my vcr looks like. Hope this helps you.
Posted Image

Edited by leader2, 17 March 2010 - 08:11 PM.