Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do you hook up a vcr with an insignia converter box?

• Please log in to reply

leader2

leader2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Thanks for manual, but I have some questions. Hopefully you can answer them from me. Here is the part of the manaul that corresponds:
Posted Image

For 3 are they saying that I am to connect the red, white and yellow audio/video cables on one end to the back of the converter box and on the other end to the back of the vcr? Because I tried that before hooking up the converter and vcr that way and it didn't work. :) :) :)

For 4 are they saying to connect av cables from the vcr to the tv? That makes no sense to me. How can I connect the vcr to the converter box and connect the vcr to the tv at the same time? There are only one set of connections on the back of the vcr not two. By the way I have no av jacks on my tv as I stated before so I cant plug any av cables into it. I just have one jack and that is for the vcr or antenna. Sorry if this sounds confusing, but I'm confused as as what to do. :)

Thanks for any help you can give. :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The connections have to be completed all the way for everything to work.
Colored coded from converter to vcr and then Use the coax cable from vcr to tv.

leader2

leader2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Thanks, but I need more clarification. The av plugs DO NOT work on the back of the vcr. Just the front connections. How can I use these plugs on the back of the vcr? They did not work before so I'm confused about it.

And for 6 from the above instructions how do I set the tv to the appropriate video source?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
On my tv i have a button on the remote to change from video 1 thru 4.
Depending on where the plugs are in would determine which video source works.
How long ago did the vcr work as you say?

leader2

leader2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

On my tv i have a button on the remote to change from video 1 thru 4.
Depending on where the plugs are in would determine which video source works.
How long ago did the vcr work as you say?

Oh ok. I do not have that button my tv. Do you think it's because my tv doesn't accept av connections?

I have av plugs in the back (I'm not sure if they are in or out or what) and a set up front where I plug in my playstation and the converter box. I don't know what the ones in the back are for, but they didn't work with the converter box.

The vcr worked fine before I had the converter box months ago and it worked ok (except for the aforementioned problems in my previous post) once I managed to hook the av cables to the front of the vcr, hook the antenna to the vcr and so on.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How old is the vcr?
It is possible it may not be able to accept digital signal.

leader2

leader2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
I can't remember exactly how old it is. It may be 5-7 years old possibly.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

The vcr worked fine before I had the converter box months ago and it worked ok (except for the aforementioned problems in my previous post) once I managed to hook the av cables to the front of the vcr, hook the antenna to the vcr and so on.

Are you saying that the vcr worked connected up like I have said before and now it won't?
Has the vcr ever worked right since you got the converter?

leader2

leader2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Are you saying that the vcr worked connected up like I have said before and now it won't?
Has the vcr ever worked right since you got the converter?

No actually it didn't work hooked up the way you had said. Sorry. :) The vcr has worked ok since I got the converter with the exception of some very big things.

1. I have to turn off the converter to play anything.

2. The vcr's display doesn't show up on the tv screen when I push it on the remote (meaning it shows the channel, length of recording time etc.) meaning I can't tell how long the vcr has been recording or clear the recording time. I know this sounds strange but it's like the vcr has to work around the converter box to work. Sorry if my descriptions are confusing. I just want these problems with the converter/vcr fixed so that they will work the way I want them to. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Again has the vcr ever worked correctly?
If I was to say at this point what the problem is I would say a faulty connection from the vcr to the tv.

Advertisements

leader2

leader2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Again has the vcr ever worked correctly?
If I was to say at this point what the problem is I would say a faulty connection from the vcr to the tv.

It hasn't worked the way I wanted it to no. That's what I was saying in my previous post. You have to turn off the converter to play videos and you can't see the display.

What do you suggest I do about the faulty connection? Please let it be free, because I don't have any money.

Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The best option is if your TV has multimple video inputs.
Then as in my case you can simply click a button and switch between converter and switch to another input for vcr.
This will not allow you to record as it would be on a separate channel.
As far as the display is that option enable on the vcr?
What i mean by working correctly is before the converter was introduced into this scenario did the vcr work with the display?
How did you receive tv reception before the converter was brought into the scenario?

leader2

leader2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

The best option is if your TV has multimple video inputs.
Then as in my case you can simply click a button and switch between converter and switch to another input for vcr.
This will not allow you to record as it would be on a separate channel.
As far as the display is that option enable on the vcr?
What i mean by working correctly is before the converter was introduced into this scenario did the vcr work with the display?
How did you receive tv reception before the converter was brought into the scenario?

My tv has no video inputs, just a connector for the antenna. (I hate this now :) and I wish I could have gotten a tv with those inputs :))

The display is available on the vcr's remote.

Yes the vcr worked properly and the display functioned correctly before the converter was introduced.

I'm not sure what you mean by this question. I guess you mean was my reception good before the converter? I guess it was fine. Or did you mean did I use an antenna versus the lead from the house? I have always, always used an antenna.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What I mean is did you have cable or satellite before?
I had cable tv and dropped it because of the price. I then bought a digital converter to be able to get at least the local channels to watch.
Did you have something else for tv or did you use a antenna on the top of your house?
I think part of the problem is just the age of the tv and the lack of inputs you have.

leader2

leader2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

What I mean is did you have cable or satellite before?
I had cable tv and dropped it because of the price. I then bought a digital converter to be able to get at least the local channels to watch.
Did you have something else for tv or did you use a antenna on the top of your house?
I think part of the problem is just the age of the tv and the lack of inputs you have.

No I didn't have cable or satelite before.

I just have a regular rabbit ears antenna similar to this one. I never used the antenna on top of the house if there is one.
Posted Image