Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Does the intel P965 chipset support 45nm Core 2 duos?

• Please log in to reply

mkau

mkau

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
See thread title.
I've got an old e6400 in my PC right now; it's not really all that fast any more.

HOWEVER: I don't want to buy a new mobo. I'm thinking of replacing the processor with a newer e8400, for the increased clock rate and front side bus. Will it work? I'm not entirely sure if it will.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Knowing nothing about what board you have, nobody knows. A list of all the processors supported by your board will be listed on the website of the company who made the board.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Neil is correct - check the support page. Basically from that era of motherboards, some manufacturers released a BIOS update which enabled support for Core 2 chips. So in essence, some boards do and some don't.

mkau

mkau

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
It says it supports 6x00 dual cores... I'm just not entirely sure if the newer ones wouldn't work.

Ah well, I won't risk it. If I end up doing this, I'll just upgrade the board too.