Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black screen with movable cursor after boot

• Please log in to reply

Deon

Deon

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Hi,

All of a sudden (although since I never turn the computer off - only hibernate, it's hard to tell when it set in) my computer won't boot.

It goes through BIOS, goes through the boot screen, then I get just an entire black screen with a movable cursor in the middle of the screen.

Both screens turn on (I use DVI/VGA on an NVIDIA GTS 250) and I can move the cursor across both screens, but nothing happens.

I've researched for hours and this is what I've tried:

- Alt-Ctrl-Delete to start Task Manager to run explorer.exe
- Ctrl-Shift-Escape for same thing.
- System Restore - no points available
- Last known good config - no different
- Memory Test - no problems found
- Startup Repair - no problems found
- CHKDSK /F - no problems found
- fixboot, fixmbr and sfc /scannow - no different
- Shift 5 times to open Stickey keys - no response

Any idea, GTG? :)

Advertisements

kimsland

kimsland

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

I never turn the computer off - only hibernate, it's hard to tell when it set in

Isn't this the most common reported fault with hibernation?
Mostly users confirm Bios is up to date from the manufacturer support page
All Windows Updates done (but in you're on Windows 7 RTM obviously this is not much.

Some state its a particular background program, so if you want to test again, close everything first (ie overnight with Internet locked down)

The worse case scenario (and seemingly most unlikely) is faulty RAM or even Hard Drive
You could do a Memtest scan on your RAM (this can last up to 4hrs to be sure)

Some computers (specific models) have users who have complained about this and eventually a patch is made, you might want to check your model online at a Google search.

Deon

Deon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Isn't this the most common reported fault with hibernation?
Mostly users confirm Bios is up to date from the manufacturer support page
All Windows Updates done (but in you're on Windows 7 RTM obviously this is not much.

I'm unable to upgrade the BIOS because seemingly the program runs inside Windows... which I can't do.

Some state its a particular background program, so if you want to test again, close everything first (ie overnight with Internet locked down)

But nothing is running at all? Or at least I can't see anything running.. I have tried overnight tests.. this has been going for weeks.
I've been settling for Ubuntu live CD but now all of sudden even that won't boot.

The worse case scenario (and seemingly most unlikely) is faulty RAM or even Hard Drive
You could do a Memtest scan on your RAM (this can last up to 4hrs to be sure)

Yeah, I was hoping to avoid that.. I've done the Memory test (~5 minutes) in Windows Setup and that passed fine, and I've tried swapping out just a single module of RAM at a time... still no joy.

Some computers (specific models) have users who have complained about this and eventually a patch is made, you might want to check your model online at a Google search.

Can't see anything :)

Thanks for the reply :)