Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CPU cooling

• Please log in to reply

jonb23

jonb23

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi I have just put together a system (core i7 920, Radeon 5870, Mobo EX58-UD5) and at the moment the CPU cooler, a zalman 10X performa, is constantly running at max speed (2000rpm). The temp is cool though 27ish but its still on max.
Might it be that too much thermal paste was added or something.

thanks

(the temp is great but the constant sound of the fan isnt)

Edited by jonb23, 11 March 2010 - 05:56 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If your motherboard has a 4 pin cpu fan connection, then you have BIOS control of the fan speed. You might check in the bios to see if it is disabled. Get to the bios with the delete key at startup( most computers) and use the arrow keys and the enter key to navigate in the bios. The Esc key gets you out of the bios( you need to save changes if you had to enable the speed control).

If yu do not have 4 pins for the cpu fan you can make your own control. Read this website on how to do this.

http://www.hardwares...com/article/496

SRX660

jonb23

jonb23

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks. Yea I know. all the bios settings seem right. PWM control is activated (I had to do that as it wasnt at first). Seems ok unless im missing something???