Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cooling, Temperature, and Chassis: Should I add more fans?

• Please log in to reply

crumbworks

crumbworks

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey all. This is my first ever post, so I will start by saying Hello!

On to business:
I just built my first ever desktop PC. My previous PC was also a custom build, but assembled by someone else. While everything is working fine, I want to make sure that airflow and temperature is at an ideal level, especially considering my high-end GPU. Essentially, I am looking for advice related to adding more fans, and ideal cooling temperatures/solutions.

I know specs help, so here we go:

CPU: Intel Core i5-750 2.66GHz
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3
RAM: OCZ 2x2GB Platinum DDR3 1333
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5850 (1GB GDDR5)
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB WD1001FALS 32MB
Case: Antec Three Hundred Black
DVD: LG GH22NS50 SATA 22X/22X DVD-RW
PSU: Antec TruePower New TP-650

That case includes two fans, a rear exhaust 120mm TriCool (set to low), and a top exhaust 140mm TriCool (also set to low). This wonderful case has spots for two front intake fans, but I have not put anything there just yet. It also has a spot on the side for another 120mm fan, right by the video card (which is also unoccupied at the moment). The case is whisper quiet right now, which is fantastic.

I downloaded "SpeedFan" for temperature info. The four cores on my processor sit at 37 or 38 degrees at idle. At load, it goes up to 48 degrees or so. It has other temperature readings, but I don't know what they represent. I also have no idea what a "healthy" reading would be.

AT IDLE
Temp1: 35C
Temp2: 25C
Temp3: 28C
HD0: 34C (I assume this is the hard drive?)
Core 0: 37C
Core 1: 37C
Core 2: 38C
Core 3: 37C

It is also important to note that I am using the stock CPU cooler of my processor. The case seems to have good airflow. Nothing is overheating, as far as I can tell. However, many online reviews say I should be utilizing one or both of the 120mm intake slots.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The majority of bits will work fine up to temperatures of about 90 degrees Celsius. Anywhere between 40 and 60 can be considered normal.

whitwell

whitwell

• Pip
  • 5 posts
if you goin to get into gaming. like i am. and you wanner be confident in your cooling. get your self an aftermarket HSF. set up the fan on the side window. and add the 2 fans at the front.. now if you dont like the noisy humming, get your self a fan controller. that way adjust them to what you want, depending on what you doing, good luck

here are my temps. on a abit vt7 mb. on idle the cpu sits at 29'c acpi at around 33'c system around 24'c. under load the cpu gets to around 40'c which is good.

crumbworks

crumbworks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well it's nice that you loom between 29 and 40... but is there a performance difference? I doubt the CPU is strained in either your scenario or mine, so it's not going to limit its power to avoid heating.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Well it's nice that you loom between 29 and 40... but is there a performance difference? I doubt the CPU is strained in either your scenario or mine, so it's not going to limit its power to avoid heating.

There is no performance difference. All recent versions of Windows have technology that will, in theory, reduce the temperature of the unit when it's sitting there doing nothing. This is of course subject to air flow, ambient temperature, whether the cooling fan is clogged up and so on and so forth. If the processors get too hot the entire machine will shut off.

whitwell

whitwell

• Pip
  • 5 posts
i realise that there is no differance in performance. but if you dont want overheating issues, best to have the cooling in place. so you woudn't have to worry about overheating. thats what i have done. I can game all day and night without any issues.