Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sony VGN-BZ11EN PCG-9Z1M fan

• Please log in to reply

stupidhomer

stupidhomer

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Can anybody help me with my Sony Vaio laptop fan
Recently 3 days after the warranty expired, the fan died on it, it used to be noisy, but now it's completely dead, no noise, the laptop still works but it gets hot way too quick now.

Its a Sony VGN-BZ11EN PCG-9Z1M
I was going to open it up, but I couldn't find any guide for it, or for any model similar.
There's 10 or 15 screws on it all over the laptop bottom, so I don't know which ones to unscrew without breaking it.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sony Vaio covers a lot of models. Have you checked Sony's site for a PDF file thats hows the disassembly instructions?
From what I have been able to find out there are 8 screws on the bottom all indicated by a arrow.
Also the memory cover will have to be removed as well as there is a hidden on for the usb connections.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Also try You Tube HERE for videos on how to open the laptop to gain access to the fan.

stupidhomer

stupidhomer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Sorry to bump this, but I just sent it to the local computer and laptop expert in my area and he fixed it for free. It was jammed with things that have gotten through the holes in the keys, he just cleaned it out and now it works again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thats great to hear and I'm glad you have gotten the issue resolved. Thanks for following up and letting everyone know as it proves how important it is to keep your system cleaned out and how much heat can be a factor n a system not running correctly.

stupidhomer

stupidhomer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Sorry to bump the thread, but it's easier than making a new one.

So, its been about a month, and the fan went off again, so I sent it back to the local tech expert and he says the bearings are broke or something, for now he's put some silicon grease on it to act as temporary bearings, because of this, I'm now going to have to search the internet for my exact fan and hope I can buy it to replace my broken laptop's fan, as he said it takes a really strange fan which is a strange shape designed for my exact model.

So, anybody know where I can get a replacement fan for this model, I don't want to send it to sony because they charge you a ton of cash, and a lot of the time don't even fix it after taking your money.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Your best bet is to contact Sony themselves for replacement parts. I'm sure that fan was used in models similar to yours that they made.
Go HERE to their parts ordering page and to contact them.