Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Old Vista hp Laptop suddenly doesn't connect to WLAN

• Please log in to reply

yardy249

yardy249

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
We have two Laptops that connect to our linksys router via internal wireless adapters, one XP and one Vista. Well, after a year or two of no trouble, suddenly the Vista machine won't connect to the internet. I get some seemingly deceptive feedback by way of the network connections prompt which says I'm connected to the Router but not the internet. Hardwiring straight to the modem isn't productive either.

This literally happened overnight while we were sleeping, and remember we've had no problems connecting with it before, no settings were changed on the router's end and my XP laptop has suffered no connectivity issues. The vista laptop is my mum's, and she told me that morning when she tried to wake the lappy up it wouldn't boot and so she just mashed the power button 'till it shut off. After a successful reboot there was no connection.

I've spent the last few days muddling around with several attempts to fix it. I've reset WINSOCK entries and IPv4 and IPv6 TCP/IP stacks to defaults, I've fiddled with network settings and I've run MBAM scans. I can't connect in Safe mode networking either.

Help would be much appreciated. I'm communicating through my XP laptop which, again, runs fine.

Edited by yardy249, 11 March 2010 - 11:26 AM.

Advertisements