Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I surf the web on a External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

Waynesworld

Waynesworld

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Not sure if I posted this in the right section or not.

here is what I would like to do; I don't want any trace of where I surf on my computer.

Can I somehow surf the web via an external hard drive in order to accomplish this?

I would also like to use yahoo messenger on an external hard drive if possible.

Let me know your suggestions on how to use yahoo messenger and facebook or any other website and it not be traced on my computer.

No Im not doing anything illegal. lol

Thanks a bunch
Waynesworld.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
short answer is no (the long answer results in no as well)

what exactly are your concerns about having things "traced"?

Waynesworld

Waynesworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
The concerns I have is that Im going thru a divorce that is being drawn out forever.

My wife cheated on me and I am tired of sitting around not doing anything.

So since the divorce is not final and we are now officially separted, I'm ready to venture out but not openly till the divorce is over.

Hope that makes sense.

My computer could get subpoenaed and I don't want anything on it, such as a chat with me and any friend that I talk to .

Thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
...well we're not here for legal/marital advice...so i won't go too far into that (but if you're currently separated then the dates of anything you do would reflect that it happened during that period...but...whatever)

internet explorer 8 has a feature called "inprivate browsing" that removes all traces of any internet explorer activity as soon as you close the browser

as far as yahoo messenger, that probably won't get covered by these settings as yahoo messenger stores chat history on it's own, for that Follow These Steps

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Waynesworld
Surf with a live Linux CD or USB thumb drive. No traces are left after you reboot the PC.

OR

Try Tor with Firefox and Pidgin and the OTR plugin. Use the USB version.
http://www.torprojec...r/index.html.en

Edited by DaffyKantReed, 13 March 2010 - 09:19 AM.

Mr. Green

Mr. Green

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I might not be able to answer on the issue of using a hhd to surf the internet but I can say that from a legal perspective any acts of infidelity (as simple as a kiss, holding hands or text/instant messages) that you commit while still married, even if legally separated is still illegal and considered adultery (or a lesser charge of attempts or intent). Judges look at the separation period as a chance to possibly fix any problems in the relationship, not a chance to move on as you would like to. Adultery cases in the age of technology are getting more and more complex and the courts are accepting more and more unconventional forms of evidence all the time.