Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Thinking of replacing the cpu in Dell Dimension 2350

• Please log in to reply

charliedog

charliedog

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a seven year old Dell Dimension 2350 running Windows XP, that was recently replaced with a new HP desktop when the PSU died. After replacing the PSU I decided to try a few things just to see what I could learn and accomplish w/o bricking it. So far I've added a wireless PCI card, a PNY GeForce 8400 GS graphics card, and upped the RAM to 2 GB.

From what I've read, the Celeron 1.7 cpu is a bit of a dog, so I'm thinking of replacing it w/ a P4 either 2.2, 2.4, 2.6 as long as it has a 400 FSB, it should be ok, right?

My question is this: do I need to update the BIOS? It presently is version A00, and I see on Dell's support site there are flash updates for A00, A01, and A02. Do I need to flash the BIOS before installing the P4? If I don't, will the machine explode? :) TIA

Larry aka Charliedog

Advertisements

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
Check to make sure it’s the right BIOS update for your computer, as using the wrong one will damage the computer.

There are instructions at the site how to use the update,

The following changes have been made to the A01 BIOS to create A02:

1. Updated support for newer Pentium 4 and Celeron CPU's.
2. Added "Series" to the system model string in setup.
3. We now log CMOS checksum errors in the event log.
4. Added F2=System Setup and F12=Boot Menu to system splash screen.
5. System no longer resets upon memory error. System now halts.

Also download the manual as up-dating the CPU you might have to change some jumpers on the motherboard