Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Unable to run files.

• Please log in to reply

Type

Type

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello =]

Alright, so I got a virus called XP Guardian and I looked online to find a way to remove it. I came across a site which explained how to remove the virus and in one of the steps you had to repair running of .exe files.
They said to save this code to your desktop and then add it to your registry.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.exe]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\secfile]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\secfile]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\shell\open\command]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
@="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]
@="exefile"
"Content Type"="application/x-msdownload"

I did that restarted my computer ran Malwarebytes removed the virus and rebooted my computer again. However now I am having problems running programs. Every single application I try to open has to associated with a program which I choose. I also cannot run regedit or restore my computer and some applications can't even be found. The virus is gone but now I have this problem. What should I do?

Advertisements

Type

Type

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Please disregard this topic, my computer suddenly seems to be fixed. Thanks.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post an OTListIt log in THAT forum.