Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I would really appreciate some advice please

• Please log in to reply

digitalmunky

digitalmunky

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello everyone

I have been using an aspire e380 for a couple of years now, since then I have upgraded the RAM and GPU. I have decided I would like to upgrade the CPU, Currently athlon 64 x2 4200+. My motherboard is an AM2 soccket and I have been assured that I can run an AM2+ CPU on the AM2 mobo. The only problem im facing now is related to BIOS.

The sales people at the store I intend to buy from have told me that I will have to install the latest BIOS for my mobo. They said i should check the release notes that come with the BIOS to see what CPUs are supported before making a purchase.

I have been along to the Acer support site and downloaded the BIOS package from here acer bios
The problem is there are no release notes to be found in the package, and I have searched endlessly on the net and found nothing.

If any of you are familiar with these bios or has the missing documentation I would be very gratefull if you could share.

I have attached my system profile as produced by everest software just in case I missed something.

Thanks in advance

Peter

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
According to Acer this is not AM2+ capable, plus the date on the BIOS in question dates from 2007 so I reckon it's probably a bit older than you think it is, it seems to date from early 2007.
Specs here: http://support.acer....pireE380sp2.tml

P.S. There is no attachment.

digitalmunky

digitalmunky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

According to Acer this is not AM2+ capable, plus the date on the BIOS in question dates from 2007 so I reckon it's probably a bit older than you think it is, it seems to date from early 2007.
Specs here: http://support.acer....pireE380sp2.tml

P.S. There is no attachment.

Hi Neil and thank you for the reply

I will have to go for a new Mobo and Cpu then. I will keep the system I have now and just put the Mobo and Cpu Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition + AM3 mobo.

Here is the attachment I hope.

Peter

Attached Files

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Yep there we go, bios type and date: June 15th, 2007.

You can use that AM2 processor in an AM2+ board by the way. You can't use it in an AM3 board but it will work in an AM2+ board. Then if you wanted to keep costs down you can just replace the board now and possibly upgrade to an AM3 processor later on the AM2+ board.