Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

[SOLVED] Make Windows XP think Windows Media Player is installed?

• Please log in to reply

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
I use a custom XP ISO (with Windows Media Player, OOBE, and all that other crap removed).

The only problem is, I can't use the Now Playing feature in Windows Live Messenger with iTunes (it needs WMP to be installed for some reason).

I fixed this before by adding 2 entries to the registry I found on Google, but I can't find it any more. I can't remember what I searched for. I don't want to install Windows Media Player either, I just need to find out what to add to the registry.

Thanks.

Edit: Solved it, this is what I was looking for

http://www.myplugins...nger-plugin.php

Just get enable_msn_psm

Edit: Also (just in case anyone with the same problem finds this on Google), when you add the above to the registry, Windows will give an annoying error when logging in to a new account (as it sets up Windows Media Player or something annoying like that) about not being able to find wmp10.inf

This error will only happen the first time, but if you're like me it will annoy you, and when you log in, you need to hold Windows Key + L to switch user, then click the username again to see the error message and dismiss it.

To make sure it doesn't happen, just download the wmp10.inf from the following link and place it in the C:\WINDOWS\INF\ folder (it's hidden, so copy and paste %SystemRoot%\INF\ into My Computer and place the file in there. It should now think WMP is installed, and won't give any errors (well, it hasn't so far).

http://www.mediafire...df0d6082f1c2cd0

I also added the two registry files in case they're deleted or the other site is down :)

Edited by Supercalifragilistic, 11 March 2010 - 03:26 PM.

Advertisements