Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DSL line wiring

• Please log in to reply

Voiceover822

Voiceover822

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a customer/friend who is allegedly having a problem with his DSL service. The initial complaint was that their computer was running very slow while accessing the internet. Being only slightly technically competent, he contacted their DSL/phone provider. The technician allegedly checked the 'signal level' at the demarc and at the business end of the inside phone line. The technician told the home owner that 'the signal at the demarc is considerably stronger than at the end of the interior phone line. He recommended that the line from the demarc be replaced to improve the 'signal level' at the modem.

My many years of computer experience told me that their problem, more than likely, had nothing to do with the DSL line but, being a good capitalist, I ran a nice line from the demarc to the modem. The telephone works fine, thought I can not audibly detect any difference in level. (I don't have a line level meter).

Now, my question...This is my first attempt at 'repairing/installing' a DSL line. I connected one pair at the demarc and at the wall plug. The phone works fine but the DSL does not come up at the modem..Does DSL requirea 2 pair hookup?

Advertisements