Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow computer - after much house cleaning

• Please log in to reply

mrnoonan

mrnoonan

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I'm moderately experienced in PC maint, both Win and Mac. My daughter's machine was running fast but now is really slow. I have: (see machine profile)

- trimmed all non-used and junk programs,
- photos, documents, videos, music freeing 20GB of disk space
- installed MSEssentials
- run Windows update and am current as of today
- run Malware Bytes anti Malware program
- run CCleaner - files and registry clean ups
- run MyDefag
- run dischk
- run SpeedTest.net
- run TCT Optimizer (Improved Speedtest results but still slower than my old laptop)
- installed Safari which has a faster screen engine - faster than IE8 but still slow)
- tried to fix Abode movie problem (a script in this movie is causing Adobe Flash Player to run slowly...). This problem goes back to 2004-2005 and still persists today. I don't think it's Adobe but something consuming CPU cycles that cause Adobe to run slow and emit this message. I don't have this problem on my laptop, WinXP Pro.
- observed Task Manager running 100% frequently with no real load on system.

I don't have the Dell install image.

Need help. Thanks, Mike

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello mrnoonan.... Welcome to GeeksToGo,,
We are all volunteers so please understand we are not always here and it may take some time to respond to your post. :) :) :)

Please do the following and post the requested pictures and logs.

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:
1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Go to Start then to Run
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On left side click on Disk Management
On right side you will see you hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply. Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

mrnoonan

mrnoonan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
requested files attached (BTW - thx for quick reply)

Attached Thumbnails

• harddrive.JPG

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK first lets get the formalities out of the way.

Although using P2P programs like Utorrent are not illegal, the files downloaded could contain potential infections. By continuing to use these programs will put you at a higher risk for infection. If you continue to use these programs GTG may not be able to provide assistance in the future.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Open Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab, and UN-check:

+ "Adobe ARM"
+ "Adobe Reader Speed Launcher"
+ "iTunesHelper"
+ "QuickTime Task"
+ "Dell Dock.lnk"
+ "AnyDVD"
+ "ehTray.exe"
+ "Messenger (Yahoo!)"
+ "swg"
+ "uTorrent"

When done restart computer and then:

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:
It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Also Spybot teatimer has been known to slow your system down due to the amount of system resources it uses.
SuperAntiSpyware is less of a resource hog and does just as good of a job.

Download SupeerAntiSpyware from my signature below

mrnoonan

mrnoonan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi,
hmmm... You might have me confused with another account (I know you are multitasking). I have none of the programs you listed in the Logon tab of Autoruns (see attached Jpeg). I've purged the bloated Adobe Reader in favor of Foxit; it's much faster.

[Although I do appreciate the warning about uTottent - I don't use it; nor do I use SpyBot (I used to but TeaTimer was a game killer for me); I also used to use Auslogics Defrag but switched to MyDefrag after reading an article in Windows Secrets e-newsletter. I liked the results of the reorg better (the help file explains the methods and is too much detail for here).

Pls re-take a look a the submissions above and see if anything else.

After the first steps you gave the system really picked up and the SpeedTest results were almost doubled! Yea!

Thx, Mike

Attached Thumbnails

• Autoruns_logon_tab.JPG

Edited by mrnoonan, 11 March 2010 - 07:27 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep you are correct i got another topic mixed up with yours. I do apologize and below is yours.

Open Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab, and UN-check:

+ "IgfxTray"
+ "SunJavaUpdateSched"

The next file needs to be manually disabled and is only needed if you use multi language on your keyboard. If you do then skip the step.

To turn off just ctfmon.exe go to:

Control Panel then to Regional and Language Options

Click on the Languages Tab then click the Details button

Click on the Advanced tab

Check the box that says Turn off advanced text services option

Click A and then OK

When done restart computer and then:

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:
It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

mrnoonan

mrnoonan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi rshaffer61,
I think we're done. The response time after this clean-up is as I remembered it. My daughter will be pleased. She owns a Philates studio and will use this machine as a work station.

Thank you and your volunteers for the help. It's a great community service that you do.

Best regards, Mike N

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)