Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

refresh rates & graphics cards

• Please log in to reply

monkeygrudge

monkeygrudge

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
i'm running a dell xps 410 with vista home ultimate.

i was switching out monitors when i went to the "display properties" and changed the refresh rate [from 75 to 85]. the screen went black, and never came back. my suspicion is i somehow killed the graphics card [nvidia geforce 8500] because when the monitor's connected i get a "loss of signal" box on-screen, rather than the monitor going to sleep. when the computer is on the card's fan spins; it's getting power. so it's doing something. or nothing, actually. this happens regardless of which monitor i connect. i'm using the digital video connector.

Advertisements

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
You most likely selected an unsupported refresh rate.

-Restart the PC and tap F8 during boot.

-Once at the Advanced Options menu select Enable low resolution video (640x480)

-If you are able to login to Windows you should be able to lower the resolution.

monkeygrudge

monkeygrudge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

You most likely selected an unsupported refresh rate.

-Restart the PC and tap F8 during boot.

-Once at the Advanced Options menu select Enable low resolution video (640x480)

-If you are able to login to Windows you should be able to lower the resolution.

i can't; the monitor stays blank with f8, without f8, or thinking about f8 [or any other key combo]. i also tried a system restore disc...nothing. the monitor's not the problem, as i hooked it up to another machine and presto! i also switched out the video card for a new one.