Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Backup?

• Please log in to reply

iddawg

iddawg

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I received the following from "pcworld[email protected]"

"BounceBack Ultimate Backup & Instant Recovery Software
Windows 7, Vista, XP
BounceBack Ultimate

backup software will create a duplicate copy of your computer's hard drive on an external backup drive (including operating system, applications, user data and personal settings). Unlike any other backup program, BounceBack enables you to simply start up from an external USB hard drive in an emergency, and either continue working, or launch a full recovery in two clicks. Includes advanced backup features like secure file encryption, network backup, folder synchronization and custom backup set creation."

According the email this cost $69.00. I thought that the backup recovery was part of Windows 7. Is this something I need or is I need?

Edited by iddawg, 11 March 2010 - 06:57 PM.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
No, you don't need it. As you say, Windows 7 now has that function built-in, it's called "Create a System Image". PC World is no doubt hoping you don't know what Windows 7 can do so you'll buy something from them you don't need. Makers of backup software are going to find it hard to sell their products in future, thanks to Microsoft. It wouldn't surprise me if they all complained to the authorities about Microsoft taking business away from them.

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi, I use this on three computer about every two weeks, check out the site.
Macrium Reflect Free Edition users

http://www.macrium.com/ReflectFree.asp

Dwight

iddawg

iddawg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
phillipcorcoran
Thanks. I did not think I needed it; just wanted to make sure.

iddawg

iddawg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Originally the OS on the laptop was "Vista". I had the it upgraded to "Windows 7". If I download the free version of Macrium Reflect will the disc contain "Vista"; or the current OS "Windows 7"? "Vista" was such a pain in the back of the neck about two to three feet lower depending on you height.

iddawg

iddawg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I emailed Macrium Support the following message:

"To Whom it may Concern,
The laptop was originally loaded with "Vista" by Toshiba. I had the laptop upgraded to "Windows 7". Will either you free version or the full version back up Window 7 on a computer that has been upgraded or will it backup the original OS?
Below is the response I got back:

"By default an image contains the entire file system at cluster/disk sector level. It doesn't just copy files, it copies everything that makes up the file system, including security descriptors, alternative file streams, etc, and it also saves the position on disk so everything is mapped back to where it was at restore time. This creates a much smaller image than copying every sector in the partition which just wastes space.

Thus if your computer runs on Windows 7 and that partition is imaged, then on restoring the image you get Windows 7 restored. You get back exactly what was there when the image was made."

I just do not understand why they just could not have said "Yes it will." or "No it will not." Instead of all the computer talk that I do not understand.
I am assuming that the above is a confirmation that yes the software will give me a disc for "Windows 7"? Is that correct?

Please forgive my ignorance. I just want to make sure before I devote the time to download the software. The only way I have of connecting to the Internet is a dial up connection.

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi, You can make a image of an entire disk or a select partition. I have three partition's
on my laptop one is C which has Vasta (that the one I make a image of) one is D and one
is a hidden partition.
Now when I make a image of C: drive I put it on a external hard drive using usb port, So if I ever need it
I just put in the Macium reflect bootable cd which Macium reflect program lets you create a bootable cd.

Please make sure you read the help files and understand what you are doing before you attempt this.

I hope that was some help

Dwight

Edited by Dwight, 12 March 2010 - 09:19 PM.

iddawg

iddawg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Dwight,
If I understand your last post with Macium I can select which partition to be created? Either the C Drive or the hidden partition. Correct. Please just give me a simple "Yes" or "No". I am sorry but all this technical jargon just gets me lost. I am just cosmetologist by trade and not a computer geek. :)

Edited by iddawg, 13 March 2010 - 06:36 PM.

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi, Here is what you need to learn about how to use it.

http://www.macrium.com/tutorial.asp

Dwight