Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Build

• Please log in to reply

mndgred

mndgred

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I have minimal technical knowledge and no experience but I thought I would give building a new computer a shot. Was wondering if these parts would work together, or if anyone had suggestions. Primary use would be gaming and web surfing.

Motherboard: MSI P55-GD65
Processor:Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz
Ram: 4x2gb 1333mhz DDR3
Video:GeForce GTX 275 CO-OP PhysX Edition 1280MB
HD:500gb 7200rpm seagate
optical drive:18x sata dvd-rom
case/power supply: i really dont know on this one. size dioesnt matter.dont want anything fancy.

thinking all this will come in around 1400? im willing to spend a few hundred more if there is reason for it

Advertisements

malachi0420

malachi0420

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hello,

Just so you know, Intel's new 6 core CPU is almost ready for market. The chipset you have chosen is not compatible with the 6 core.

To add to that, the X58 chipset does, and supports tri-channel DDR3.

Choose wisely!

Happy Computing!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Welcome.
Fill in you location in your profile, this may help if you need prices, where to buy.
If you wait for the latest tech and then hold off until you can afford it, more advanced gear is available.
I think you build looks good.
Go to MSI web site, find your choosen board and check that the ram you want is compatable with the board.
You will also find a tool to calculate the size of psu that is recomendes. I think 650w would be about right. I favour the Antec True Power, $135 AU.
I ahve and recomend the Antec Six Hundred Gaming tower, $115 AU. Very good airflow, the top fan does have a blue led, which I have turned off. Options to add 3 more fans if required.
When you buy your parts I would also buy Windows Ult 7 64 bit OEM. You would than be able to use all the ram or add more, up to how much your board supports.

It is not hard to build your own. Take your time, if you have problems, post again.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
@mndgred:

Can you please state the intended uses for your new PC and some of the advanced applications you plan to use?