Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't post after sitting all night

• Please log in to reply

westerndad

westerndad

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have an Elitegroup K7S5A motherboard with AMD Athlon XP 1600+. 768 Meg memory. It has been running fine for about 3-4 years,

Suddenly it won't go into post after being off all night unless I power it off/on 3-4 times. First time it comes up, I can hear the monitor being reset and the cdrom/ floppy are hit. Then drive light comes on and nothing happens. No post beep.

I have reset the cmos and replaced the cmos battery.

I removed all components and added them one by one. Then everything ran fine for about 2 weeks.

I have removed the memory, cleaned the contacts and reseated it.

If I reboot during the day, no problem.

I also noticed the date(month) is being altered somewhere along the way.

Everything runs fine once it starts and everything passes diagnostics that I have.

Sure would appreciate any help figuring out what's going on before it belly's up completely

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
This is a tricky one, the only thing I can think of is to again remove the components and add them one by one till you find the offending one maybe this time you can isolate it to a particular one. It seems once whatever it is warms then its ok.

The other thing to try would be swaping parts in and out I would first try another psu, then a video card, then ram.

Another guess I would have is the mobo going bad because of the loosing time and the fact that you replaced the battery, somehow it is still loosing its backup power. Look the mobo over good, look for bulging or leaking capacitors

Rick

Edited by Doby, 19 May 2005 - 06:56 PM.

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
bulging or leaking capasitors...sounds nasty. you would definan tly be supprised at how much good switcking out parts is. try memtest too (downloads section) and temp.

Nixx