Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 7 HP - P5Q Mobo

• Please log in to reply

seishonagon

seishonagon

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,
I have a homebuilt machine at home based on an ASUS P5Q Deluxe motherboard with 2,85GHz Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 processors.

OS is Win 7 Home Premium 64 bits

Graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT

I've been running this on Win 7 RC for a while, with no particular problems until about 4 weeks ago, when random freezes started appearing. When the RC ran out, bought and installed Home Premium license. (I think the freezes started then, but not really sure).

After reading a few threads on this forum, decided :
1) to update the power supply (from 400W to 750W) - and at the same time reinstalled everything in a new case with better ventilation. Cleaned out the dust bunnies, case running open while I troubleshoot.

2) updated the GeForce 7600 GT drivers.

So I think i've ruled out power and overheating issues, as well as graphics driver issues. Yet I'm still seeing the freezes.
I'm going to run memtest as also recommended, and in the mean time am taking peripherals offline one at a time to see if one of them is the culprit.

Is there anything else I should be doing / considering ?

Thank you for your support
P.

Advertisements