Actually I just figured this out and am wanting to post the solution just in case someone else has a similar problem.
The solution was actually available on Microsoft's website <shocking I know.
The link is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934160
and involves making a minor correction in the registry of the vista machine.
<obviously you will need to be careful when editing the registry, making a backup etc.>
1. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
- Note If the Parameters subkey does not exist, create it. To do this, follow these steps:
Click the following registry subkey:
On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click Key.
Type Parameters, and then press ENTER.
2. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
3. Type FormatDatabase, and then press ENTER.
4. On the Edit menu, click Modify.
5. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
6. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.
Thanks again for the initial advice!!! By the way dsenette was right in his tag line: try pressing f1 or look it up in google. :-)