Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problem with vista machine on network

• Please log in to reply

nanook

nanook

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello all!

I have a strange problem with my vista machine on my network. The machine in question can see the shared folders on the server and can even create new folders but cannot name them. In addition I cannot rename a folder that already exists or transfer files on the server. Any suggestions? I am sure you will be needing more information, but I could really use the help.

Thanks!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is this a home network or corporate network? workgroup or domain?

nanook

nanook

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
it is on a small corp network (with a domain) running active directory. All the settings (for security) for the machine are set the same as the xp machines.

Edited by nanook, 12 March 2010 - 09:54 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what about the security on the actual file location? has that user been given the proper security settings on the shared folder? if they've not been given modify permissions but have been given permissions to create/delete things then they wouldn't be able to change anything, just add and remove

nanook

nanook

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
The user has full permission, read, write, modify, etc. Can create the folder or file but when attempting to delete or rename (from the vista machine only) will get the error message of "the <name of the folder/file> does not exist. The file may have been moved or deleted. Do you want to create it?" Even though the file/folder was already existing... When the user clicks on yes to create it, the error message loops and asks the same question again and again.

Problem does NOT occur for user when on an XP machine on the same network.

Edited by nanook, 12 March 2010 - 10:10 AM.

nanook

nanook

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Actually I just figured this out and am wanting to post the solution just in case someone else has a similar problem.

The solution was actually available on Microsoft's website <shocking I know. :) >

The link is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934160 and involves making a minor correction in the registry of the vista machine.

<obviously you will need to be careful when editing the registry, making a backup etc.>

1. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Csc\Parameters
- Note If the Parameters subkey does not exist, create it. To do this, follow these steps:
Click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Csc
On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click Key.
Type Parameters, and then press ENTER.
2. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
3. Type FormatDatabase, and then press ENTER.
4. On the Edit menu, click Modify.
5. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
6. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

Thanks again for the initial advice!!! By the way dsenette was right in his tag line: try pressing f1 or look it up in google. :-)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
definitely an odd one...glad you found the sollution