Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lsass.exe application failure

• Please log in to reply

pekkles04

pekkles04

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Last night I tried to download dvd decoder (K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 5.8.0), but when it was ready to extract after the download, it encountered a problem. Can't remember exactly, but it asked me if I wanted to cancel, abort or retry. I retried a few times and it wouldn't do anything. Then I hit abort, and the computer was just stuck. Ctrl+Alt+Del didn't come up, so I powered off the computer. When I restarted, I got a Lsass.exe application failure, and when I click on OK, a blank screen just stays there. Nothing happens. Now, I tried to go to safe mode to restore, and it doesn't respond to up/down buttons from keyboard, so it continues to load windows xp, then the get the failure again. I restarted, and tried to startup with xp cd, and it doesn't respond to click any key to start from CD when prompted. Please help!!! Don't know what to do or what I'm doing wrong? Can't imagine it is a virus, I think a file was overwritten when I ran the download from codec. My dvd was not reading dvd's, because it was missing dvd decoder. I fell upon a search to download the K-Lite, and this is was I get.

Any suggestions!!!!!!

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Can you boot into BIOS? Please try. That will tell us if there is a BIOS or keyboard problem. I am almost sure it isn't but that should be your first step.

pekkles04

pekkles04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I changed my BIOS to enable only cdrom, but when it says click on any key, i touch the whole keyboard, and nothing happens, but continues loading Windows. I don't have a keyboard problem in the setup menu. It works fine there.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Download AVIRA Rescue CD. Use the internal burner to create a bootable CD and boot the affected computer. Default language is German but you can change to English after bootup. Go to "configuration" and check the options in which the program try to repair infected files or change their names. Run the program and let it scan your computer.

There are two things that we try to achieve here:

1: To make sure that your hardware is working when taken out of windows environment.

2: Clean malware in case the computer is infected, and bring it to a state in which it can boot from windows.

pekkles04

pekkles04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Just checking before I do this. I downloaded the Avira antivirus, but the file comes in as a .exe file. Will this bootup automatically when I put cd into computer drive? I only get a black screen when it finishes starting up, and when I reboot to go into safemode, I cannot do anything. It doesn't respond. I just want to know that the CD should be able to bootup on it's own with the .exe file, or is there something I need to do to allow it to startup from the CD.

Thanks!!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You should be able to boot with the CD. The downloaded folder has a CD burning utility built into it that you can use for creating the CD. Try to use the Avira CD which you made to boot another computer (the one you write from) to find out if the CD is OK.

pekkles04

pekkles04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
OK, I created CD, it loaded up, and now all I get is a disguised penguin stuck in top left corner. So now what?

Edited by pekkles04, 17 March 2010 - 09:12 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If your BIOS is set to enable floppy-disk drive, disable it and try Avira again.

pekkles04

pekkles04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
The only setting in BIOS is CDROM on first, the 2nd & 3rd are disabled. I tried twice last night to bootup with Avira, and it just gives me a penguin in the corner and it just stops there. Anything else I can do??

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Avira rescue CD is the only (as far as I know) free bootable antivirus. I too had (and have)problems with booting with it and found that by disabling floppy in the BIOS I managed in most cases (not always)
to boot. Please search carefuly in your BIOS menu. If this is a desktop then I am certain that there is an option for floppy. Please look again. This is NOT in the same page where boot priorities are.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Just browsed around and found this page which gives links to other free bootables. Never tried them myself but will sure do.

pekkles04

pekkles04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Ok, I feel like this is going to take me years to fix or find a solution. Well, I went into my BIOS to look for disable floppy, and it is disabled. Then I saw it said File A, I believe in the CMOS, showed me a floppy drive I disabled, and still nothing. The scary looking penguin just sits there. FYI, my BIOS is a Phoenix one, if that might help you a little. I just cannot seem to get pass the penguin. I have not tried your other rescue cd suggestions.

I'm scared to infect my only computer left at home to download stuff. This is the 2nd desktop in my house that I managed to ruin. I just cannot seem to understand why my computer got like this. I forgot to mention, when I started up the computer, before hand, I added another memory card, and I put a new DVD drive. But, I never restarted it just to see how the computer would respond. I went directly to download the codec for my media player, and that just ruined everything because the download had an error message, and that's when it froze, and I hit the shutdown button which completely ruined it all.

What is your next suggestion???

pekkles04

pekkles04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Also, I have a Sil3112A SataRaid also, that I see show up before the CDrom loads. Do I need to disable that then? If so, where would I find that in the BIOS. Also, it shows me the primary slave....etc. as soon as it starts up. Does that stuff need to be disabled too? Where would I have to go for that??

Thanks so much for your help...

pekkles04

pekkles04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Still nothing....any more help would greatly be appreciated!!!!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts

I restarted, and tried to startup with xp cd, and it doesn't respond to click any key to start from CD when prompted.

Let's leave Avira aside. If I understand the situation correctly then you can navigate in the BIOS menus but as soon as you try to boot into windows, or XP installation CD, the keyboard stops functioning. Am I right?

What kind of keyboard do you have, is it USB? wireless? PS-2 (the one with violet connector)? Please do not use a wireless for this repair. If you have a USB, please check in the BIOS that every USB option that you see there is enabled. I would prefer to run the repair with a PS-2.

We must run some repair commands or full windows repair and for this we must be able to boot from your XP CD. Please try your CD on another computer and make sure that it's bootable.

If you cannot boot with the CD then use the link in my signature, download Recovery Console and burn the ISO file to create a bootable CD. To burn the CD please download and run BurnCDCC which is a very simple program dedicated to ISO file burning.

If you succeed to boot into Recovery Console please go to here and run the required commands, checking your computer after each of them.