Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Please Help! Can't run Defrag or Scandisk!

• Please log in to reply

agentbb

agentbb

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hello!

I would like some help with a problem I've just encountered. Yesterday while shutting down I noticed that my computer was updating something (auto update of some kind?)

When I restarted....all of my mcafee programs ( virusscan, firewall , spamkiller, privacy center) were asking to be subscription verified. ( I bought this computer new and have only had it for a few months...the mcafee program was already installed on it from the factory....at a price of course!)

I would verify all programs when prompted and would get a "product is verified" message but it would ask for verification again and again.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times but the same thing would happen.

Then I tried to get help from the McAfee support team and they had me do a "manual uninstall" of virusscan. ( this was the only mcafee program that i had reinstalled at the time)

So I followed their instructions to the letter:First I backed up my Registry. ...then I ran something they had me download to my desktop called " Reg_remove.reg. This was to remove any remaining parts of McAfee.

Then they instructed me to do a "clean install". The first step of this was for me to run a CHKDSK to locate/fix hard disk problems. When I tried this I got an error message that read: "The type of the file system is NTFS.......Cannot unlock current drive.

When I asked them why this was happening they told me to " Skip it" and go to the next step.....which was to run Disk Defragmenter.

When I attempted this I got this error message: " MMC cannot open the file c:\windows\system32\DFRG.MSC.... this is because the file does not exist".

At this point ( after about 8 or 9 hours of "chatting" with the McAfee tech's) they informed me that this is out of their hands and that i needed to contact Microsoft!

All I want is to be able to get my computer back to where it was before all this started happening.

I'm coming to you guys as I was referred by Bananafannafo who has previously helped me with a Virus problem. ( and done an outstanding job I might add!)

I have complete confidence in you and know that you guys are the people that can help me figure out what to do!

Thanks! :tazz:

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
I am suspicious of that "auto update" you first mentioned. It soulds like some malware downoaded. Try working your way through the malware removal guide at the top of this forum where it says "Do you suspect a malware (Spyware, Virus, Trojan) infection? Please start here. " This enables folks to solve most problems on their own. If you still have a problem after that, post a hijack this log in the malware forum at
http://www.geekstogo....o_Here-f37.htm

agentbb

agentbb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks for the advise!

I'll get on that right away!

Novell

Novell

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I bet you that the auto update created a new Windows profile. Look in your c: drive and go to the Documents and Settings folder. You'll probably see your name or user name appear twice. One of them with a digit at the end. If you see that just copy the contents of the original name to the new one.

You should also try running chkdsk and defrag in safe mode.

Edited by Novell, 24 May 2005 - 11:13 PM.