Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird echo/reverb appearing in sound

• Please log in to reply

Philhead

Philhead

• Pip
  • 6 posts
OK, I don't know much when it comes to sound on computers, so I am completely lost on this one. The sound on mine has just recently gotten an annoying echo or reverb when playing any sort of audio. It works just fine if it within a game I am playing, but everything other than that has that weird echo. I have no idea what is causing it, and I haven't changed anything to make it do this. I am using Boston speakers and a SB Audigy Audio [DC00] sound card. If anyone can help me with this one, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
is this happening on system sounds as well?

does that audigy card have any kind of control center or anything like that? thre might be some setting there...

also, are your speakers using analog or digital input?

Philhead

Philhead

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yeah, it's happening on system sounds, iTunes, videos, pretty much anything outside of games. I'm pretty sure this audigy card doesn't have a control center, or if it does it's hidden pretty dang well. The speakers are digital input. have any ideas?

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
ok, your using the digital, which makes me think that the signal converters have gotten confused. have you rebooted the PC yet? wouldnt hurt to cycle the power on the speakers as well.

while this is unlikely to be an issue, just for grins go into windows media player, click on the enhancements feature, and make sure the SRS WOW effects are turned off.

are the boston speakers 2 channel, 2.1 channel (sub and 2 sats), or surround?

Philhead

Philhead

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I had already tried rebooting my pc and cycling the power on the speakers, so that's not it. but listen to this - since the sound still worked well in games, i went ahead and played one for a while, and now the sound works fine again. go figure. anyway, thanks for your help, if i have any more problems, i'll come back and post some more. thanks again!

jrjrjr

jrjrjr

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was just having a very similar problem on XP/Audigy system after installing the "Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II" video game. There was reverb on all desktop sound effects and on most game sound FX too. It seemed to become stronger over time. I use Sony headphones to listen to all my computer stuff. After messing around with diagnostics and settings and such to no avail, I finally (duh) just unplugged and re-plugged the headphones. Reverb gone.

shellpines

shellpines

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I started having an echo in my sound after installing MSN Messenger. It is in all the sound. I do not have any games. Once before this happened and I got rid of it by accident and for the life of me I can't remember what I did. I can use some help.