Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP Won't Start On Mini Laptop

• Please log in to reply

irishroadkill

irishroadkill

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,
My friend bought her daughter a hp mini /notebook laptop and now Windows won't start in any safe mode or otherwise. It had been running low on disk space and I was not able to delete anything to free up space. Now it is unresponsive to anything.I have read other fixes about using the windows cd but this mini notebook does not have a cd drive. Is there something that can be done? Any help would be appreciated.Thanks!

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Post details please of exact model and model number of laptop.
What actually happens, on screen.
Does computer post, ie: anything at all when switched on.
Any message on screen at all.
There are a number of ways to proceed, but before I can advise, I need the answer to above.

irishroadkill

irishroadkill

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
it's a HP Mini 110-1012NR. When I turn it on the screen stating that windows did not start successfully comes up. The restart timer runs and it will loop over and over. If I try safe mode,a long list of files beginning with multi(0)disk(0)rdiskpartition(1)windows/system32/drivers,etc. will come on briefly,then back to the same beginning,looping.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Press F8 and scroll to Disable restart. Then see if there is a message on the screen other than the one that you have read before it restarts.

irishroadkill

irishroadkill

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
after pressing f8 and scroll,the timer stopped but did nothing else

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
http://h10025.www1.h...n...272&lang=en

|I think you may have misunderstood, I perhaps did not explain it correctly.
Have a look at the link. DISABLING AUTOMATIC RESTART immediately below the chart section

Edited by Macboatmaster, 13 March 2010 - 05:39 PM.

irishroadkill

irishroadkill

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Now I understand. I am in the windows boot manager and the only option there is Windows XP,nothing else

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Before we proceed how long are you staying on for please. Presuming you are in the Emerald Isle and the time is the same as here in Wales, shall we give it about an hour and then pick up tomorrow.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 13 March 2010 - 06:25 PM.

irishroadkill

irishroadkill

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
the link you gave me was very useful,we could do more tomorrow if I cannot rectify the situation. Thank you so much for your help