Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help upgrading windows ME to XP

• Please log in to reply

chapulete

chapulete

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Toshiba Satellite 2805 s202 with windows ME, (10 G 128 Ram) I want to install xp home and erase ME but when I try to install xp from disc I only get the option of new install. Once its about to install it says XP will me written in the same hard disc as ME and that can bring difficulties. In control panel There is no option to uninstall ME. Is there any way to just erase all the hard disc and install XP from DOS? . Any other suggestion? please explain steps.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Yes, but before you do any of that, what kind of XP disk do you have?

You are getting that error...where? I mean, you're trying to install it how?

Finally, 128mb of RAM and Windows XP are going to be very unhappy together.

The p3 cpu is enough, but the old savage video graphics controller is kind of weak.

And, 10 gb ram...wow, it's enough space for sure, but that's not much space when you start factoring in other programs.

If this were me, I would NOT install XP on this machine--it will be an unsatisfactory experience