Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU usage 100% but avast finds nothing

• Please log in to reply

gillyflower

gillyflower

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi,

For a while now, my computer's CPU usage will spike to 100% and then stay there. My only options are to close everything down and wait for it to settle down or to restart the computer. I find it happens almost exclusively when Firefox is running and usually when something else is on in the background (VLC player, etc). I have Malwarebytes and avast and they haven't found anything malicious. Any help with figuring out if it IS a wily bug of some sort...or if there's just some software conflict/driver problem would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Right click on the clock and select Task Manager. Now select the Processes tab. Now click on Show Processes from All Users. Click twice on the CPU column header. You should see the top CPU users at the top of the list. If not click on CPU again. What are the top 5 when CPU usage is at 100%? What % does each of the top 5 use. (Approximately)

Ron