Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need seamless transfer from P3 box to P4 box running XP

• Please log in to reply

jollyr

jollyr

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Friend gave me gutted P4 box with OEM disk of XP Pro slip-streamed with SP3. It still has power supply and motherboard. Will be transferring most of the internals from my P3 box to the new one. Do not want to go through the hassle of MS validation again but would much rather perform a clean install with the slip-streamed disk instead. (Old box dual-boots to Win98 and XP. Don't need Win98 so there's another reason I'd prefer a clean install)

I have burned a disk with all the drivers I need but want to make the move "transparent" to my family members that also use the computer. There are e-mail files (Thunderbird), browser favorites (Firefox), Game files, MS Office '03 files involved. I imagine transferring user profiles part of the picture.

I am sorry there is alot more involved here than just installing an OS but thought this forum was best place to start.

Any advice on how to accomplish this in the most "seamless" way will be greatly appreciated.

Best,
JR

Edited by jollyr, 14 March 2010 - 01:10 PM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What you want to do is probably impossible because when XP was first installed on the P3 it registered it's hardware and you can't just move it to another computer and expect it to work. You can try, and if you are very very lucky it will work as is but chances are slim.

You can try to move the hard disk to the P4 and run XP repair if your installation CD is of the same XP version as the slipstreamed CD, which it probably isn't. Theoretically it should work but very often it fails, and even when successful you will will lose all windows updates and probably some hardware drivers.

Your best option is to reformat and start afresh. If, however, you want to run the repair, use the guide listed in my signature, written by Admin.

jollyr

jollyr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I am planning on doing a clean install on the P4 box but was wondering if there was a way to backup the user profiles and any other pertinent files/directories on the P3 box before wiping the hard drives.

Edited by jollyr, 14 March 2010 - 01:03 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Assuming you are having a single hard disk having only one partition - the best way is to backup the data from each of the user accounts to an external storage device (burnt to CDs, external HD or flash disk), format the computer, recreate the user accounts and import the data back to each of the user accounts. This is a great opportunity to get rid of a lot of unused files and programs.

I understand your question exactly but I have no better answer. There are people who backup the entire user accounts but I think that this wrong. Start afresh and let the users get used to the changes. It won't take them long. This will not be a "seamless transfer" but will be the correct way of doing things.

jollyr

jollyr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I get your point, as well. Have not had a fresh setup in a long time. I have 3 drives. "C" (FAT32) boot drive with Win98 on it (haven't used 98 in years). "D" (NTFS) has XP and program files plus data. "E" (also NTFS) contains media files.

Am planning for all drives to use NTFS and have fastest/largest drive be boot drive plus contain virtual memory.

Upon reflecting on your recommendations, I still want to keep e-mail data "as is". Some users use Thunderbird and one uses Outlook '03. Any procedures for bringing this data over would be appreciated.

Thanks for your input.

JR

frank2085

frank2085

• Pip
  • 2 posts
use the user migration tool on the xp disk

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I am not familiar with Thunderbird but Office Outlook 2003 goes as follows:

Click: local disk C: > Documents and settings > Local setting > Application Data > Microsof. Save to a safe place the Outlook folder that shows among Microsoft programs.

If you don't see Local Setting: click Local disk C: and At the menu bar click Tools > Folder Options > View. Check "Show Hidden Files and olders" > Apply > Ok. Now you will be able see ocal Settings etc.

After reinstallation of Microsoft Office 2003 open the program and re-create the user account. To install the backed up data do the same as before but now, when shown the Outlook folder, copy the backup and paste it over the new folder. Allow (yes to all) when asked to allow replacement of existing files.

jollyr

jollyr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
My thanks to The Skeptic. The Outlook file I should copy over has the "pst" extension, right?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
That is correct. Usually, however, I copy the entire Outlook folder as is and paste it on the new outlook folder.