Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

98 Laptop problems

• Please log in to reply

Hssarth

Hssarth

• Pip
  • 4 posts
(I was told to make a new topic on this, so, here it is)

A while back, I was missing loads of .vxd system files, and I copied it back. However, my laptop is so old, I have to swap out the CD/Floppy drives, unless it's in the docking station. We tried copying the missing files to the laptop, and it's comming up with a file missing error, with most of the directory listing cut off, and says that it could also be low on memory. I have not deleted any of the files, either. The only way I can do anything, is to boot into DOS. From there, I can use a floppy, but not a CD. I'd install Windows again, except since it does not recognize the drive, and I have no floppy install disks. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
So, do you have a working copy of windows at this point or not? (even if crippled?)

Hssarth

Hssarth

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Only on CDs.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
no, I meant, when you start your computer, is there any OS at all, or is the harddrive wiped out?

Hssarth

Hssarth

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
There was an OS, but it couldn't get to it.
--------------------------------
We eventually made a boot floppy from a 98 laptop my dad uses, and that let me use the CD-Drive. So, it's fixed now.

-----Thanks