Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop will not boot up

• Please log in to reply

drg40404

drg40404

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have used this sight many years ago for a pc problem and received amazing help back then in diagnosing the porblem and correcting it and thats why i have come back. My sister brought her laptop to me because it wont boot up and she doesn't have the money to take it to a pc repair shop so I am trying anything i can to get her working, as my computer knowledge is slightly better than her's in that I can follow instructions very good :)

Whats going on:

When it boots, it goes right to the Black screen where you can select the 3 different types of safe modes, last known good configuration or start windows normally. If I Select start windows normally or last known good conifg there is about a 3 second pause then I go to the windows logo screen with the scrolling bar beneath it for about half a second and then I get a blue screen that has the following code on it:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0XC000001D, 0X80537008, 0XF79613B8, 0XF79610B4)

If I Select any of the safe mode options it stops loading at "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\drivers\mup.sys" and will not do anything at all untill I hold the power button down to shut it off.

Only thing I could think to do was to reformat and reload windows. So while booting I pressed F12 to access the boot menu and selected the cd drive and it tells me to press any key to boot from the cd, and I do and it starts up the blue screen with Windows setup at the top and in a grey bar at the bottom it says "Setup is loading files"... it goes through this file loading process for about a minute or so, then in the grey bar at the bottom it says "setup is starting Windows" the same blue screen with a different error code comes up and the only thing I can do is press the power button to turn it off. Here is that code:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0XC0000005, 0XF76130BF, 0XF7A5F208, 0XF7A5EF08)
*** PCI.SYS - Address F76130BF base at F760C000, DateStamp 3b7d855c

It's different from the other one and I have tried googling these codes but all my results were for different types of laptops or offered a hundred different GUESSES on what the issue might be, with no real help on how to fix them.

What I know about her system that i was able to find in the bios:
Dell Latitude D630
Bios Version A02 (06/07/2007)
Service Tag 65FJPD1
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
1024 MB DDR2 SDRAM
80GB HD
Windows XP

I also ran a hardware utility from the bios that says all the components tested are passing. It checked the Hd, CPU, memory and a bunch of other stuff I know nothing about, but it all said "passed" so I have to assume that all the hardware is good on it. She says that it was working when she went to bed and when she went to boot it up the next morning this is what it was doing.

If any other information is needed I am watching this thread like a hawk so please let me know. In advance thanks a million for any help in finding what is causing this problem.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi drg40404 ... :) ..:)

when you can't even boot into safe mode you will have to repair xp...

for the how to repair your operating system guides...
go here...

if you don't have a xp cd you will have to borrow one from a friend or coworker...
it has to be the same flavor of xp you have installed...IE: if you have xp pro...the one you borrow has to be xp pro

for a clean install...
go here...

Each guide has simple graphical steps to followed with instructions on how to proceed from each screen to the next. They offer free detailed PDF with complete screenshots for users who need portable instructions

drg40404

drg40404

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I appreciate your reply happyrock but I think you missed something very important in my initial post. I have requoted it below for you :)

Only thing I could think to do was to reformat and reload windows. So while booting I pressed F12 to access the boot menu and selected the cd drive and it tells me to press any key to boot from the cd, and I do and it starts up the blue screen with Windows setup at the top and in a grey bar at the bottom it says "Setup is loading files"... it goes through this file loading process for about a minute or so, then in the grey bar at the bottom it says "setup is starting Windows" the same blue screen with a different error code comes up and the only thing I can do is press the power button to turn it off. Here is that code:

what your asking me to do I have already tried doing and I cannot get through the process, due to the laptop going to a bluescreen (with a STOP Error code) during the process.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
sorry... :) ... missed the part about you trying to reinstall windows...
to summarize... you are in the middle of a reinstall but its hangs and will not finish...
go into the bios and find the failsafe option...its sometimes called the default or optimized settings...after selecting it save the settings and try reinstalling again...

drg40404

drg40404

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I tried that this morning while waiting for a reply, to this thread, but encountered a problem. It is asking for the bios admin password. I called my sister and she says it doesn't have any passwords that she knows of. NICE.

I called dell and they told me that the pc was showing registered by some corporation and they couldn't give me the password. I called me sister back and she said she bought the laptop at a pawn shop for 75$ and they didnt tell her about any passwords. I called the pawn shop and they have no idea about any bios admin passwords.

So I have spent the last hour googling how to bypass the bios admin password and found only two options that sound feasible.

option one) Remove the cmos battery and it will wipe the bios password - not comfortable doing that as I have never taken apart a laptop. I built my own desktop but im new waters here with a laptop.

option two) flash the bios - have to download the new bios and creat a bootable iso and then use it at the boot selection screen. I know how to right bootable iso's but I dont know what to do from there or if it will even work?

Any suggestions from here on?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the site rules do not allow us to give instructions on how to reset the admin bios password...you may also find the hard drive is locked and the computer has to be sent to the factory to have a new laptop security chip installed to get by this issue...

Edited by happyrock, 14 March 2010 - 11:15 AM.

drg40404

drg40404

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
why would the hard drive be locked? It was working fine one day and the next morning it was not working. I didn't try to enter any passwords into the bios for fear of the three strikes your locked out thing so that shouldn't be an issue.

i cant do anything in the bios cause its all password protected and i cant reinstall/reformat due to the bsod, and it wont boot into safe mode.

lets ignore the bios changes since we cant do amnything with it due to the password crap. were does that leave us in solving the bsod issue?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

why would the hard drive be locked

because it is common practice when its registered by a corporation to protect their data...

were does that leave us in solving the bsod issue

since you got partway thru a reinstall and it failed ...you have thrashed the OS that was on there and at this point you probably are done unless you try install a linux OS on it...and I'm not even sure if its possible if the drive is locked as I suspect... that's in the hardware on the motherboard (security chip) that probably will not allow it...I am not 100% certain of this though...

drg40404

drg40404

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

because it is common practice when its registered by a corporation to protect their data...

my sister has had this laptop for over a year and it has worked fine the entire time, up until thursday morning... how exactly could this corporation all of a sudden lock her out? and why would they? when she legellay purchased it? the only reason i cant get the password from dell is because the original owner of the laptop still is the registered owner with dell and not her. since she doesnt know who the original owner was they wont help. Thats all fine and dandy i dont expect you guys to help with that, per your policy, but there is still the bsod issue that was present on this laptop and why she brought it to me...

the bsod issue was happening before i tried to reinstall and i never even got to the welcome screen where you are asked to press enter or "r" so nothing was overwritten or thrashed by that process.

Edited by drg40404, 14 March 2010 - 12:00 PM.

drg40404

drg40404

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
just installed the latest ubuntu distro. now i should just be able to reinstall xp over it... right?

drg40404

drg40404

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
alright ubuntu works fine. I can surf the net and other things just fine. I went and put in the Xp disk and booted off it just fine and experienced this same problem again:

... So while booting I pressed F12 to access the boot menu and selected the cd drive and it tells me to press any key to boot from the cd, and I do and it starts up the blue screen with Windows setup at the top and in a grey bar at the bottom it says "Setup is loading files"... it goes through this file loading process for about a minute or so, then in the grey bar at the bottom it says "setup is starting Windows" the same blue screen with a different error code comes up and the only thing I can do is press the power button to turn it off. Here is that code:

when I installed ubuntu i made sure i repartioned the entire drive for ubuntu and formatted it. Now why would i be getting the same error code as i was before, even having a clean working install of ubuntu on here?

Edited by drg40404, 14 March 2010 - 02:42 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Google this search term....locked hard drive + security chip...

Edited by happyrock, 14 March 2010 - 05:17 PM.

drg40404

drg40404

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
If the drive is locked how is ubuntu able to install and run? Not being smart, just not sure how a locked drive can run another os just fine...

Ps... googling that wasnt very helpful either...

Edited by drg40404, 14 March 2010 - 05:34 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
A lot of info that I have read on this subject directs you to load bios defaults as a step in going furthur.

I googled the locked hard drive + security chip... and the 1st choice gave me a lot of info on possible passwords AND other great info.
You need to start there.

drg40404

drg40404

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
already tried that earlier:

So I have spent the last hour googling how to bypass the bios admin password and found only two options that sound feasible.

option one) Remove the cmos battery and it will wipe the bios password - not comfortable doing that as I have never taken apart a laptop. I built my own desktop but im new waters here with a laptop. [edit]- found numerous suites saying this wont work on dell latitude's.

option two) flash the bios - have to download the new bios and creat a bootable iso and then use it at the boot selection screen. I know how to right bootable iso's but I dont know what to do from there or if it will even work? [edit]- found numerous suites saying this wont work on dell latitude's as well.

The bios is a dell bios, im guessing, since i have no way to tell as it doesnt say anywhere inside the bios ( i can see everything, just can only change very little) and it doesn't say at the first boot screen. All it says is Bios Revision A02. All the lists of potential bios passwords given are for non-dell bios'es. Everything i've read for dell bioses say the passwords are randomly generated off the service tag of the pc, which means none of the above is going to work anyways...

As for loading the defaults in the bios... if the current bios settings have worked fine for the last year why would they have just all of a sudden just gone bad? that doesnt make any sense... and if they were bad they are only bad for xp cause they work fine for ubuntu...

Sister has a friend that works for dell and shes going to get the password from him but it could be as late as tomorrow before she is able to get ahold of him. Will post back once i get it as it seems we cant go any further without it. I told her its a doorstop without the password or she has to learn how to use ubuntu, so hopefully she can.

Edited by drg40404, 14 March 2010 - 06:30 PM.