Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

used computer, internet problems

• Please log in to reply

bloodsworld

bloodsworld

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
hello, i recently bought a used computer from a business that no longer needed it. i took it home and tried to get onto the internet. no luck. i checked the network connections and it seemed that he had dial up set up on the computer. i found my internet provider cd and tried to install it onto the computer but the cd cannot detect my internet modem. i have the computer hooked up directly to the modem. i tried resetting the computer and the modem and still no luck. i messed around with the network connections as well and still no luck. is there something that im missing? any help would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

How do you connect to the net - dial-up or broadband (DSL or cable)?

Does this "new" system have an NIC or just a dial-up port?

Murray

bloodsworld

bloodsworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
i have dsl. and the computer has an NIC.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Go into Internet Options>Connections and setup a new Internet connection.

Murray

frank2085

frank2085

• Pip
  • 2 posts
you can use the user migration tool on the disk. it will save and transfer all user profiles on the machine