Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Power?

• Please log in to reply

nanabentley

nanabentley

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi. A while back I had some computer guy from my husbands work take a look at my daughters computer. It is a Compaq Presario CQ50-105NR. It is a laptop. Anyways, one of her cousins had done something to the frame around the LCD monitor and tried to take it apart and lost a screw inside of it somehow so the lid couldnt close without probably breaking it. Then her baby slammed the lid closed so I went and picked it up and my husband took it to this guy at his work because I was afraid that eventhough I do know a little bit about fixing computers, I am not that experienced with laptops. He fixed it and told me to order a new keyboard from ebay because some keys were missing and so I went ahead and did that. He fixed that and the monitor and had the laptop for like a month after that. I asked my husband to have the guy bring it to work cuz he had had the thing for a month since he got the keyboard and he had already been paid. The guy comes in the next day and tells my husband that the computer had been running great and he had turned it on one last time the night before to make sure before he gave it back but all of a sudden the computer just went dead. He said he didnt know what happened but it must be the mother board and I needed to pay him 250.00 to purchase one for it and he would fix it. I told my husband no, that it was fine when it took it to his house and I felt that he was trying to rip us off. My husband told him to just bring it back and that I would deal with it. Okay so, The power adapter light comes on and when I push the power button the battery charging LED light comes on but nothing else. No sound, No LEDs, No beeps, No whirring, nothing........ Could someone help me please. Maybe someone can figure out what might have happened or what might be wrong. I sure hope so. Please get back with me asap.................... Thank you for your time in advance.... Colleen

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Don't bother fixing this. I have never had any luck with repaired laptops. I can buy one right now(unused but not brand new)for $380 from Amazon. For the same price you can buy a pretty good new laptop.

For a little bit more( $428) just buy new( Acer athlon 64, windows 7)
http://www.walmart.c...7-5078/13723689

I personally buy the cheapest laptop i can find and usually sell it every year to buy a new one. This way its always up to date and ends up costing me around 200 a year to own. I'm on a Acer laptop right now cause Walmart had them onsale for 350 almost a year ago. I'm ready now for a new one and just waitin for the good deal. I'll sell it for 200 as soon as a deal comes up.

SRX660