Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

service pack froze

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

brisingr

brisingr

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
i started using an old pc that was sitting in my room from years. i was letting it do the system updates that it prompted me for fromthe system tray. it froze half way through installing windows xp service pack 2. upon computwer restart it said something like removing the service pack from add/remove because of unstable system. it tried to uninstall it from add/remove programs but it didnt let me. what am i supposed to do from here.

edit

-----------

i went to control panel/ windows updates/high prriorty updates/ and found this

Critical Update for Windows XP (KB888162)
Date last published: 5/24/2005
Download size: 337 KB
This update detects if SP2 is properly installed on your computer. If not, this update will instruct you to uninstall SP2. After uninstalling SP2, you should reinstall it. Failed installations of SP2 can result in system instability and in errors during installation of other updates. You will be offered this update repeatedly until the failed SP2 is uninstalled.
System Requirements
Recommended CPU: Not specified.
Recommended memory: Not specified.
Recommended hard disk space: Not specified.
How to Uninstall
This software update can be removed via Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.
Get help and support
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888162
More information

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888162

when i try to install th update each time it says windows explorer has failed. suggestions?

Edited by brisingr, 13 March 2010 - 08:07 PM.

Advertisements

brisingr

brisingr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
reformatted. prob solved

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts