Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PSU issue on new build (I think)

• Please log in to reply

Natzapo

Natzapo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hey guys, This is my second full computer build, here are the specs:
  • intel i5 750
  • MSI P55-GD65 Mobo
  • 2x nVidia 9800GT video cards
  • Antec Case
  • Seagate 1TB drive 7200rpm
  • Corsair 3x2GB DDR3 PC1600 Ram
  • DVD +- RW drive
  • Antec Earthwat 650W PSU

So, I picked up all the parts on friday, did a full in case build friday night after work. No go, when I try to start up the PSU clicks twice and nothing happens. It was late, I slept; this morning I got up early, did an out of case build on the anti-static mat the mobo comes with, got everything to start up fine, so I figured it was just some sort of case related short... so I put everything back in the case, a bit more carefully. PSU clicks twice then nothing... moved the PSU around a bit and flipped it to a different wall socket, works like magic... comp starts up into BIOS, take a look and all hardware is showing correctly, set DVD drive as first boot, insert Win7 Disc and restart .. boot to disc and makes it through the whole Win7 Install without a hitch. Shut down comp and closed up case, went to work. got home to night, haven't moved anything at all ... tried to start comp up .. again, PSU clicks twice and then nothing ... I'm about to try an out of case build again, but since it all worked fine the first time, and the clicking sound is coming from the PSU I'm inclined to think its the PSU. Tomorrow I will likely return the PSU for another if I can't get this to work.

Anywho, yeah .. none of the fans spin up, not even the PSU fan, clicks twice every time then nothing... thoughts?

Any and all help is very much appreciated,
--Tim

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Seems like you are heading in the right directions. The only other things I could recommend is try running with just 1 stick of RAM and see if the issue persists. If so, swap it with another stick. The idea here is that the chance of 2 RAM sticks being bad is slim to none.

Also, just to be sure, you DID use standoffs correct? These are used to mount the motherboard to the case and prevent the motherboard from shorting out on the case.

Could it be a power button issue? Wiring problem?
What about without the hard drive connected at all, do you reach the BIOS every time? Same problem?
Make sure you have the PCI-E power connector plugged into the video cards.
If swapping the power supply and RAM doesn't work, I would suspect a faulty CPU or motherboard.

Maybe some of those thoughts will help in your trouble shooting. Let me know how it goes. :)