Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Phantom Files?

• Please log in to reply

Luka S P

Luka S P

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey, Luka here(new member), earlier today i installed World of warcraft, everything worked out fine until i went to play, it was patched and everything but it said i did not have the wrath of the lich king, which i had thought i did but i didn't, so i installed it, only to realise that i ended up installing the same thing twice because it was already installed, and it ended up doing something??
I did a system restore and uninstalled WoW, but my C: is missing 9 gigs of space, even though i installed to my D:, as i installed i witnessed my C: losing space dramatically which i thought was just temporaries but when i look through my C: i can't find anything and i seem to have been cheated 9 gigabytes, i performed a drive defragment but it only freed up 900mb, and claimed to be fully consolidated, does anybody have a solution??

tl;dr

I have less space than i should because i installed files that are no longer there?

cheers.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts
Try TFC (Temp File Cleaner) by OldTimer:
http://www.geekstogo...er-file187.html

Luka S P

Luka S P

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I tried using that, it just killed the process explorer.exe and and stopped responding.

Luka S P

Luka S P

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I tried using that, it just killed the process explorer.exe and and stopped responding.

Infact, it caused more harm than good;

Now all the hidden files on my desktop are visible, but remain hidden?
I can see system files everywhere, not pretty.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts
Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As for the hidden files...
Open windows explorer.
Go to Tools
Go to folder options.
Go to the view tab.
Uncheck "display the contents of the system folders".
Put a check in "do not show hidden files and folders".

123runner

Luka S P

Luka S P

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks, both of you, the hidden files worked like a charm, but i am still missing out on 5 gigs? i'll review more of my HDD partitions later.