Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP logs in then immediately logs off

• Please log in to reply

macca_efc

macca_efc

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all,

I downloaded an anti spyware program to see if I had any on my computer, after it finished scanning it re started my computer. It presents me with the Welcome screen on start-up, and when I click my user's name, I see the background for a few seconds, and then I'm logged back out.

I've attempted to log into Safe Mode and log in as both Administrator and as the user, but the same thing is happening.

I did a search for this problem and found some articles that looked helpful but didn't work. I attempted to run the "copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe" command but it didn't work. I then copied the userinit.exe off the XP CD, but that solution is not working either.

So I then created a BartPe CD to get into the registry to see HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\ if userinit.exe is pointing to C:\WINDOWS\System32\userinit.exe - which it did.

I still cannot log into windows, has anyone got any ideas as I have important data which I need to retrieve.

Thanks,

Regards,

Andy

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Try here: http://saveme.danfis...ch.com/safemode