Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removable Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

psychepiper

psychepiper

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello!

Presently, I'm housesitting for a friend of mine. I brought along my removable hard drive which has everything of importance to me on it and things have been going fine-ish. Their computer is temperamental and sometimes would not recognize my drive.

Moments ago, I stupidly pulled the tray table that the drive was sitting on closer to me, the drive's cord remained stationary, of course, and the drive fell with a heavy crash to the floor.

Now, the computer will not recognize the drive and only intermittently glows blue [this hasn't been the first time] and it is making a hammering sound. I have restarted the computer twice and there is no change.

Is there any hope of salvaging anything? Please, please, please tell me there is.

Thank-you in advance,
~Rachel

Edited by psychepiper, 14 March 2010 - 11:02 AM.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
It sounds like you broke the hard drive. If it's not being recognized, then it is most likely dead. Since you mention the computer at your friends house is tempermental, you may want to try it on your regular computer that it has always worked on. If it's not recognized there, then it's dead.

There are companies that can recover data off of broken hard drives, but the cost can be extremely high. Here is a link to Hard Drive Recovery Group where they offer free quotes... http://www.harddrive...very_quote.html