Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Shuts Down on its own upon log in.

• Please log in to reply

chiefrunningwolf

chiefrunningwolf

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Out of the blue last night my computer shut down on its own. and it didn't restart, freeze, or give me the blue screen of death. just shuts down completely as if the power is cut out. and since last night, every time when i try to log on to windows xp, it just shuts down by itself.. sometimes a 10 seconds after i logged in... sometimes a few minutes later.

i could still log in fine in safe mode

i checked window's event viewer and pretty much located the time and cause of the problem (i believe)
here are the two errors during those times:

service control manager:
the following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: OMCI

service control manager:
The MCSTRM service failed to start due to t he following error:
The system cannot find the file specified
-------------------------------------------------

i googled mcstrm and read on a forum that spywares and viruses sometimes would infect the mcstrm file? while other mentions something about realplayer and rhapsody... and i have gone to control manager and removed both of those.

i also tried to search for MCSTRM.sys in C:\windows and C:\windows\system32 but could not find it at all (which is probably why it says. the system cannot find the file specified in that event log)

anyway. if anyone can help with this problem i would greatly appreciate it :)

Edited by chiefrunningwolf, 14 March 2010 - 01:09 PM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
Try:

Start, Run, msconfig, OK then check Diagnostic Boot then OK and let it reboot into normal mode. (Cancel msconfig when it comes up on boot).

If that works then go back into msconfig and start turning things on. (Look in Startup and Services and check the box in front of each item you want to turn on then OK and reboot again.) Keep going until you find the item that causes the problem. (Do a bunch at a time or you will be at it forever. If one bunch causes the problem then uncheck half of them and try again.)

Also you may have had a bad spot in the hard drive so a disk check would be a good idea. Open My Computer, right click on the C: Local Drive and select Properties then Tools, then Error Check - Check Now, check both boxes and then Start. It will tell you it can't do it now but can do it at the next reboot. Say Yes and then reboot. It will take a half hour or so to run.

Ron