Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC not seeing Linksys WMP54G v4.1 wireless card

• Please log in to reply

Billkwando

Billkwando

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello everybody!

Note: This has nothing to do with my other thread/PC, which is a much more serious problem.

I'm trying to install a wireless PCI adapator in the knockaround Pentium III (XP Pro, 500mhz, 500ram) I gave to my mom-in-law (I'm typing on it now because my regular PC is down...see above), but windows REFUSES to see the card (Linksys WMP54G v4.1).

I actually went out and bought a new one today, thinking that the old one was defective (exact same card...don't ask) but neither one is seen by windows or add/remove hardware. Not so much as an exclamation point.

I should point out that I'd previously had a Dynex that I installed, that worked, but couldn't pick up my network. I removed it and exchanged it for the (original) linksys. I can't remember if windows ever saw this card, but I'm pretty sure it didn't. I should also point out that I had previously tried (and since uninstalled) the Ralink drivers that supposedly work with the v4.1 chipset, but that doesn't work either.

I haven't ruled out IRQ conflicts, but another card DID work, and I've tried this card in various slots with no luck. I have an AGP card (fx5200...don't laugh), a sound card, and a wired network card (plus the linksys card) and I still have 2 pci slots free.

I'd gladly scan my PC and post a log of the hardware/software installed if it's needed, and if anyone wants to suggest the best way to do that.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Billkwando, 14 March 2010 - 01:09 PM.

Advertisements