Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Control Center Icon

• Please log in to reply

Wussy Smurf

Wussy Smurf

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hey all, I'm hoping someone has seen this. My friend brought me his laptop with Windows Vista Home premium and this problem:

Following boot and login, the screen goes grey with nothing but a small box with "control c..." (control center) as the title and "ok" as the narrative with an "ok" button. There's no desktop or Windows Start button visible, just a grey screen. If I boot it in safe mode, it's the same except it says "safe mode" in all 4 corners.

I've tried going into Task Manager to do various things to get the box off the screen and attempt to get into system restore. There's a program running called "ccmain.exe" that will take the box off the screen but booting will not continue. I've tried to run msconfig and take that program off the boot list, but it still happens after reboot (although it is still unchecked in the boot tab). When I get into a place to do a restore point, it says it's already running and won't let me perform the action. I can't run any programs and I'm not familiar with his computer or Vista. System Repair does nothing because it finds no errors. Restoring to a previously known good boot config does nothing either.

He said he was sent a link to "Facebook" and the link didn't do anything......except this!

EDIT: The window is very small with no icons, just that little "OK" button. The button does nothing and the "Close" button does nothing.

Has anyone seen this?

Wussy Smurf

Edited by Wussy Smurf, 14 March 2010 - 01:48 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
ccmain.exe is a malware.

I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Since you probably can't post any logs, simply start new topic and state your issue.

Wussy Smurf

Wussy Smurf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Thanks for the information. I did manage to get the desktop back, and be able to run programs. Now it's haveing problems with Internet Explorer and connecting to the internet.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.