Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New Replacement Hard Drive, Wrong OS installed

• Please log in to reply

Leesie

Leesie

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Hi,

Hoping I'm posting this in the right section. I recently got my laptop back from repair and they replaced the hard drive for reasons unbeknownst to me when I said it was the fan making noise. Anyway, I noticed that they've given me the wrong OS, Windows XP Media Center 2002 instead of 2005. I checked the sheet they sent and it said they updated the bios as well. Now I have my original rescue disks made from the '05 OS. Can I simply do a reinstall off my rescue disks or do I need to contact the repair center to get my system updated to the correct OS? I'm not that computer savvy that I know whether that bios update could wreak havoc with the '05 system.

Thank you.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
The BIOS UPDATE will have no effect on the operating system. If the BIOS has been flashed to update it, this can only be to the benefit of the computer, once it has been successfully done. NEVER flash the BIOS on a working system, for if it goes wrong, you will then have a non-working system.
Done at the same time as replacing the hard drive is the correct time to do it.
If you mean the CPU fan, then you could not have run it disconnected, except for just a second or two as the CPU would have overheated and serious damage resulted. If it was a case fan it could have been disconnected, safely for a short period. This would have established if the fan was noisy or the HDD.
That said, it is all a bit too late for that aspect now.
Moving to the O/S WHY not simply go back to the repair agent and ask if the original XP Media 2005 can be installed. If you install 2005 from your rescue disks, you will lose all your personal files and settings and programs.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
http://www.winsupers...sxp_mce2005.asp

Have a read of this. There is a lot of it, with a full review of all Media editions. It appears that Microsoft Updates, make the 2002 edition the 2005 edition. It maybe that the installers who repaired the system did not have the 2005 edition, that said I would have thought they would have run the updates.
Before too long a time passes, why not ask, as I said in my original post.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 14 March 2010 - 08:09 PM.

Leesie

Leesie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Great thank you, I'll go take a read. :) Since I got the laptop back I haven't actually put many of my programs back on it since oddly enough the fan is still making the same noise as it did when I sent it and they supposedly 'cleaned' it. So at least I know how to get my OS back. The Media Center portion of '02 isn't quite like the '05.

Thanks again for the info,
Lisa