Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need a long distance internet connection.

• Please log in to reply

Ericpw

Ericpw

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I'm putting my recently worked on Dell up in my room. It's a whole story up from my host computer with the direct internet connection.

I'm looking for something along the lines of this;

Posted Image

If you don't know what they do, you hook up one to the wall near your router and hook up an ethernet cable between the two, and then one next to the far-off computer and hook that from the wall to the computer.

Problem is, those cost $50 bucks each. Used! I'm not about to shell out 100 bucks on those.

Any other ways I could go about this?

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Drill a hole and run a CAT5e cable? Wireless? (I've had wireless working over 3 storeys)

Ericpw

Ericpw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I would, but it's going up a story and would need a ~200 foot cable. Those start at, like, 70 bucks. So I'm right there to begin with.

Wireless would be best.