Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Pro x64 Question

• Please log in to reply

Iggyv

Iggyv

• Pip
  • 2 posts
A while back I downgraded my vista home basic to windows xp pro x64. When I had vista it said I could upgrade to 4gb ram and now that I downgraded to windows xp pro x64 I went to crucial and it says it only supports 2gb max but I read that windows xp pro x64 can support up to 128gb of ram. I'm not aiming for that high of a ram upgrade but I want to at least get 3-4gb. Right now I have 1.5gb. My Laptop is Toshiba Satellite A135-7404.
Could anyone help me with this problem? If I were to upgrade to 4gb anyway could the laptop take the 4gb or would it damage the laptop?

Edited by Iggyv, 14 March 2010 - 08:26 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Windows 32 bit can only see 3.3.therefore effectively 3Gb of ram. Windows 64bit is a different ball game. HOWEVER the maximum ram is determined NOT by the O/S, but by the processor and motherboard. ie: a motherboard will have only so many ram slots. and the processor determines HOW much. For example the motherboard may have two slots, but a given processor may only support 1Gb - 512mb in each slot.
Your computer will only accept 2Gb of ram. Get the fastest ram the processor will accept. See this link.
Crucial are usually right and the beauty of them is that if you use there automatic ram scan, they change it without question if it does not work correctly.
Personally, as you have already 1.5Gb which is either 1Gb and a 512 or two 756Mb sticks, the difference will be not that great for the expenditure.

http://reviews.ebay....000000004896328

Edited by Macboatmaster, 14 March 2010 - 08:44 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The complete spec of your machine with this link to Toshiba.

http://www.csd.toshi...mily=1073768663

Iggyv

Iggyv

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
ohhh. ok, so the best I can do is 2gb. I think i'll leave the 1.5gb as the extra 500 wont really do put much of a boost. Thanks for the info :) I greatly appreciate it.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You are welcome. I totally agree, that is what I said on the last line of my post.