Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

groannnnn error when installing NIS 2005

• Please log in to reply

mjkohler

mjkohler

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
:tazz: I have been trying and trying to install and reinstall my NIS 2005 for the last 24 hours.

I run windows XP SP2 it runs on a NFTS file system
I have my windows xp firewall turned off. I run adaware. I have uninstalled most other progs to my knowledge that could have some effect.

Everytime I have tried to install NIS 2005 I get the following message: Norton AntiVirus has encountered an internal program error. Uninstall and re-install Norton Antivirus. 3028,27.

Well let me tell you, that doesn't work.

Plus I get another message that there is a rapidly spreading threat on my system
w32.sober.O@mm
I have downloaded the norton removal tool for this virus. It does not recognise it is on my system. (If it is at all) I have run trendmicro it does not see any virii at all on my system. And I have run Norton online virus check and it also does not find any virii on my system.

When I open the status window of my NAV everthing on it says it is corrupted.

I have tried to use automated support for Norton, basically it tells me that I need to run updates. I have updated NIS. When I have tried to check there knowledge bases I get put through to instructions for 2003 and 2004 versions.

That has left me with using pay phone support charged to my credit card. I dont have the money.

I believe that this will be a good product if I can use it.

Can someone nice plese help me ;) ;) :)

Thank You Melinda

Advertisements

kimberleyrk

kimberleyrk

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Just to let you know, it is a common problem. I suggest to go to http://www.free-av.com and download their anti virus program. If you have a virus it will find it. After removing the virus, go to the Symantec site and download the registry removal tool for removing NIS 2005. After running that, reinstall the program if you wish but read on....Several ugly problems will occur with installing Norton Internet security 2005, as it conflicts with Microsoft Office and SP2, causing the rescue and repair programs to fail. If you have NIS 2004 I suggest you install that instead as it is relatively stable and does not have the same problems. I have contacted Symantec myself regarding the program errors with 2005. The rescue problem awaits their reply. To fix the repair error which occurs every time you use any Office program, you have to turn off the protection on the files on options. Symantec claims you are still protected even with it turned off. That sucks.

;) :tazz:

stallionsims

stallionsims

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
hey mj,
May be you can use this document and remove nis 2005 completely of your system.

http://service1.syma...=&osv=&osv_lvl=

goto the section two of the document and you need to download and run a small utility named symnrt.exe and that should remove everything completely of nis 2005 and you can do a fresh install.

p.s.:symantec does not charge you for these kind of installation issues.
I would suggest you to contact the TS if you are exhausted with resources.

mjkohler

mjkohler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
:tazz:
Thank you both for your replies.

I downloaded the free av tool and I also downloaded the symantec removal tools.

I did both, results still the same.

When I ran the free av tool it came up with some trojans and some warnings of files with access blocked. I am wondering if I have other issues that I need to be dealing with.

I am going to go to window security for a free trojan scan to see what it says.

Regarding the files that had warnings is there somewhere on this forum that can help me figure out if they are kosher or not.

I dont want to double post.

Thank You again.

gothtec

gothtec

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
There are viruses that actually replace system files with other versions from which the originals can not be derived, and thus they are unremovable unless you overwrite the files with the original ones. Once such a virus is in place, for instance in explorer.exe (which it is completely possible to alter because of the leaked sourcecode that nobody's supposed to talk about), it can effectively identify any virus removal software you are trying to run and prevent them from doing their job.

To my experience, the only way to deal with this is to remove the harddrive, place it in another machine and scan it from there. Or, if you have the tools for it (my workplace does), you can boot WinPE or similar from a CD and scan the drive from that. The essence of this is to boot from another media, so that the infected executables are never launched, and can thus not do anything to alter the execution of other programs.

If you only have one computer, the easiest guaranteed way to deal with this is to make backups of everything you want to keep (documents, favorites, mail, addresses, passwords, lisences and so on), preferably on a DVD-R or similar, or on another partition if you have more than one on your drive, and then format the system partition and reinstall everything. The IMPORTANT PART during this procedure is to install all antivirus/firewall/antispyware and so on software before you touch any of the files you backed up, and some of them might be infected.

mjkohler

mjkohler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I had an idea that my solution might be something like that.

Cheers. MJk

mjkohler

mjkohler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
However faced with the realities of such a drastic solution an hour or so ago (and no time and money to do too much about it at the moment) I will try one other tack.

mjk

mjkohler

mjkohler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
;) well the strangest thing

I decided at the last moment to have a look and see what your virus forum had to offer.

Tried reinstalling adaware
running cleanup
installing the av virus scanner suggested (and it kept coming up with trojans all the time)
and I think also ewido setup
I ran an online windows trojan scanner (which did not find any)

And somewhere in the middle of all of this I noticed a sign that something had downloaded (not sure what)

And hey presto my nav 2005 is working perfectly.

:tazz: ;)

kimberleyrk

kimberleyrk

• Pip
  • 2 posts
;) I am glad you had success. I suggest that the notice about unable to access files is concerned with restore. I had forgotten to mention that if necessary, you have to turn off restore to enable full access with most AV programs. (Don't forget to turn it back on after fixing it. )

Have you now done a backup using a program like Ghost? Might be wise in case you have this problem again and no time to fix it! :tazz: