Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Why won't my computer boot when I put an Intel e8400 inside?

• Please log in to reply

clipjammer

clipjammer

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a GigaByte GA-P31-DS3L motherboard and used to have a 1.86GHz E6300 Core2Duo processor installed inside of it, but
Recently I procured a 3.0GHz E8400 Core2Duo processor and tried installing it.

I installed it and set everything back up and tried to boot but the instant I press the power button all the fans spin up and then the whole system powers down within 2 seconds. No matter how many times I try to boot it (which is not too many because I don't want to damage my motherboard) it wouldn't boot.

So I looked online and read that I needed to update my BIOS in order to handle the newer 45nm processors (the e8400). I flashed it and updated it successfully (using my e6300 in the meantime) and then went to swap out the e6300 for the e8400 and guess what? It did the same exact thing!

Fans whirr up. System shuts down 2 seconds after pressing the power button. Wat do?

Specs:
Mobo- GA-P31-DS3L
CPU- Intel E8400 3.0GHz Wolfdale
GPU- GeForce 9800GTX
RAM- 2Gb 800Mhz DDR2
HDDs- 2 320Gb Western Digitals

Advertisements

clipjammer

clipjammer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
bump?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Are all four DIMM sockets populated, with double-sided RAM? The reason I ask is because Intel's E8400 has a FSB of 1333 MHz, and Gigabyte's notes on the GA-P31-DS3L state:

* Because of chipset limitations, when using FSB 1333 MHz CPU with populating all DIMM sockets, memory frequency will be reduced from the original, and system instability or incorrect detection of memory module may be occur. Please refer "Memory Support List" for memory support information.

* Because of chipset limitations, do not populate both DIMM sockets of the same channel (e.g. DDRII1 and DDRII2), or populate 4 DIMM sockets with double-sided memory modules to prevent system's failure to start or incorrect detection of memory modules. Please refer to the user manual for the memory configurations table.

clipjammer

clipjammer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
nope. the two 1Gb sticks (which are double sided) are seated in separate banks.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Are your RAM modules on their Qualified Vendors List(.pdf)?

Do you have any single-sided compatible RAM you could try? (Which would also allow Dual-Channel mode).

mkau

mkau

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
you might have the wrong chipset.
What mobo do you have?