Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer Cannot Display the webpage

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

ariesgirly

ariesgirly

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hello, I have seen this error message at least a million times & want to fix this. I had a virus about 3 months ago. I brought it to a computer place that removed it and ever since, I keep getting this message. For example, I'll be on ebay. It asks me to sign in, as soon as I go to do that, I get Internet Explorer Cannot Display this Webpage. I have checked the connectivity & still the same message. Sometimes running in capatability mode helps for a few minutes, but I still get the message. Clearing the history helps for 5 minutes & then it's back to doing it again. Any advice? Could it be linked to the virus? I brought it back to the computer place & he said there was nothing wrong with it when he checked it there.

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post an OTListIt log in THAT forum.

ariesgirly

ariesgirly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thank you..still having issues, so I will post in that Forum

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Just to cover all bases- check all the cables and cords. I was going crazy one day when every third click gave me that error until I figured out that the ethernet cable from the modem to the tower was loose and not always making a connection. I try to troubleshoot simplest to harder when possible. :)
Johanna

ariesgirly

ariesgirly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
My husband said we don't have a modem :) . He said we have a router? Is that possible!

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If you have a cable connection, you probably have a cable running to a modem, then to a router.

Is there a physical connection between the router and the tower? If it's a wireless connection, solving this problem might be as easy as telling your computer to stay on your own connection, no matter what other ones it "sees".
Johanna

ariesgirly

ariesgirly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
we have a cable running to a modem, then to a router. I posted all my logs in the malware forum.

Edited by ariesgirly, 16 March 2010 - 07:05 PM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Plug the computer into the modem with an Ethernet cord, in other words, bypass the router. If the problem goes away, something is wrong with the router or the router connection. If the problem persists, try restting the router, deleting the connection and creating a new one.

What version of IE do you have? You should be at 8, and if you aren't current on your MS updates, do them. IE 6 is obsolete and IE 7 is flaky. Let us know how it goes.
Johanna

ariesgirly

ariesgirly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thanks. I will have my husband try this today and post tonight. I have Explorer 8 by the way. :)

ariesgirly

ariesgirly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Nothing worked unfortunately. We also plugged in the laptop to the same connection this computer is on and it works fine. I posted in the malware forum my scans. Is there anything showing that looks like a virus?

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Virus problems are only handled in that part of the forum so we cant comment here on it